Hello from South Africa

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sparrow08, Nov 21, 2016.

1. sparrow08

sparrow08 New Egg

Nov 13, 2016
    Good day! My name is Carla, my husband and I live in a small town in SA. A few weeks ago we became the proud parents of ten 2 week old chicks: 5 Rhode Island Red and 5 Black Australorp. Unfortunately we lost one of each to cocci. The farmer we bought the chicks from had treated the chicks for cocci and so did we as soon as we got them, but sadly it was too late.

Anyway, moving on, 3 weeks later we're finding out that looking after chicks is a little more complicated than we anticipated, so decided to join this forum to chat to those with experience in order to keep our chicks as happy and healthy as possible.

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings, Carla, and :welcome! Great to have you aboard. There are a quite a few folks from your continent on BYC! I think there might even be a SA thread somewhere in this link if you'd like to chat with some neighbors: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you
    Also, as a chicken newbie you might like to check out the awesome articles in :)the Learning Center here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
    It is loaded with great poultry information. Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! :)

1 person likes this.
  3. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! I am so glad you joined us, I do hope you will make yourself at home here. Enjoy BYC!

4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under sparrow08 [​IMG] Welcome!

I am so sorry that you lost one of your babies [​IMG]

redsoxs has given you some good starting points so I will just say I hope you enjoy BYC; not only is it overflowing with lots of useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures about chickens, turkeys, duck, quail, Peas and pretty much any other feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

5. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Hi and [​IMG] I am glad you joined us! I am sorry about your chicks! One of my chicks has had cocci before too, she didn't make it. So I know how you feel. I hope you enjoy BYC, best wishes!

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. sparrow08

sparrow08 New Egg

Nov 13, 2016
    Thanks all for the warm welcome!

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Very nice to meet you Carla. So glad you joined us at Backyard chickens [​IMG]

9. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

10. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Good morning Carla! I'm sorry for the loss of your 2 chicks, unfortunately that happens sometimes. I hope the rest of your flock is doing well and growing. In addition to the great articles in the Learning Center, you can use the Search box (upper left, under the logo) to find information and of course, always feel free to ask questions.

It's nice to have you here!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by