Hello from South African Newbie :)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by AEGH, Nov 8, 2013.

1. AEGH

AEGH New Egg

Nov 8, 2013
    Hi all,

I am new to the bird world and the site. I truly need some sound advise and information please!

Please bear with me....

The company I work at has an aviary on the premises. It has doves, canaries and some other sing song birds. Overall the aviary does well and we don't have species clashes etc until recently. Some quails were added, first two pairs of California quails. One died so now the pair ration is all wrong - think we have two males and a female (I've seen the males chase each other around). Then a pair of Bobwhite Quails. They've done very well and are happy.

Then a hen (petite fluffy black one) was added. She was gifted after a rooster had mated with her. The Quails all laid their eggs in one nest.... can actually see the difference in the eggs. Some are clear and some spotty. So they were already battling it out on whom will be sitting on the eggs. Then the hen went and plonked an egg in there as well. Being bigger than the quails she's won the battle and is now nesting all the eggs. We tried to intervene by moving her egg to a different nest but she ignored the other nest and the quails went in there and kicked it out. When ever she leaves to feed the quails sneak in - kick out the chicken egg and sit till she battles them away. We replace the chicken egg every time cause moving it has not helped move her from the nest.

Now I've read that Quails are cannibals... eat their offspring.... etc. Please help. I'm checking the nest daily. Will the chicken hen raise the Quail chicks? When do I remove them from the aviary and when do we return them? The aviary is massive so more than enough space but I won't stand by and let adults eat young. Just wrong in so many ways.

Thank you thank you thank you!!!

2. Mehjr10

Mehjr10 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Moscow, TN
    Hello and Welcome to BYC from West TN !! I'm of no help to you with quail, try also posting this under the quail thread under the forums tab.

Good Luck and Welcome again.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! I see you posted in the Quail section already, so I'll just add: best of luck!

4. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! I have no idea but good luck to you!

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC! No idea, but best of luck with figuring out what to do with the birds.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] could you move food and water near the setting hen, so she doesn't have to leave the nest as long. That would cut down on opportunities of having her egg kicked out.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC - good luck at resolving these problems.

9. chickenboy190

chickenboy190 Overrun With Chickens

May 31, 2013
    Ohio
    [​IMG]

10. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

Welcome and enjoy BYC
    Steve. :frow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by