Hello from South Australia

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Rachel96, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Rachel96

Rachel96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2012
    South Australia
    Hello!

I'm in South Australia (you may have guessed). I'm 16 and my family's been keeping chickens since I was about two, maybe younger, but as of a couple of months ago I've been striking out on my own as far as chickens are concerned. I've been saving up my money and now have a small flock of my own. I hope to make a little pocket money through egg-selling, especially once I finish school.

HOWEVER, as my father really doesn't know as much about chickens and chicken-raising as he likes to think, I thought I'd join this forum to get some more expert and experienced advice and maybe to share some of my own experiences!

My family lives on about an acre and since moving from the city about eighteen months ago, our chicken number has just about tripled in size, mostly because we have more room for chickens! My father sells some of the eggs his hens produce and I intend to do the same eventually.

As for what chickens we have; My father has five Leghorn hens, six ISA Brown pullets (just started laying yesterday), and one grouchy old OEG Bantam hen who doesn't lay anymore. I have 3 Frizzle roosters, 2 OEG Bantam roosters, 6 Araucana pullets (not laying yet), and 6 Silkie/FrizzleX chicks. I hope to get some Welsummers and maybe some Marans.

I'm glad I found this site and I look forwards to talking to and learning from other chicken-lovers!

from Rachel.

2. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Southwest Ohio...glad you joined and good luck with all your new chickens :)

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Welcome. Glad you joined.
    Think about egg size for egg sales in the birds you choose to keep.

4. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Welcome from Louisiana!! [​IMG]

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

6. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

7. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

9. Rachel96

Rachel96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2012
    South Australia
    ChickenCanoe said: Think about egg size for egg sales in the birds you choose to keep.

I'm trying to. The OEG Bantams weren't my idea, but my father's; they have small eggs and they don't lay particularly well. I got the Araucanas for the colours of the eggs, and the Frizzles because Frizzles lay reasonably well and they're generally friendly - I can sell the birds rather than the eggs.

I know that ISA Browns lay well and large eggs, but to be honest I'm over ISA Browns - we've had them pretty much all my life and I'd like a change.

from Rachel.

10. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Hi Rachel,
    I like a variety of large fowl dual purpose birds for hardiness, friendliness and long laying life of large eggs.
    I don't know all the breeds available where you are but I'm sure you have Australorps, Orpingtons, Brahmas, Anconas, Barnevelders, Langshans, Redcaps, Minorcas and Welsummers. All good choices depending on your climate. Is it always hot where you are or do you get some cold weather?

ETA
    Sorry, I just noticed you are in the south so you probably have warm summers and cold winters.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by