Hello from South Dakota (My First Coop Build)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by nekramp, Dec 9, 2012.

1. nekramp

nekramp New Egg

Dec 1, 2012
    Hello All
    We are getting our first Blizzard here in NE South Dakota, so i figured I would start building my first coop. We dont' have any chickens yet but we plan on getting some in late Feb. The Coop is 5' x 10 total' with 56" walls in the run and i can stand up in the center with the vaulted rafters. The hen house part is 5' x 4'6" and elevated 16" off the ground. I am still working on how many nest boxes i should have(I Plan on having about 5 - 8 hens). The coop is going to have a auto/heated waterer and there will be two slide out drawers in the bottom for easy cleaning!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What size vents should i put in the coop? I plan on insulating and have already bought (4) 2x12 register vent covers and plan on putting some vent holes in the soffit! Any other tips and tricks would be great also!!! Thanks in Advance

2. Azriel

Azriel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    That is a great start on your coop. Are you going to have a window in it somewhare? That can be used as part of your ventalation, and your hens will like having some light in the coop. In that size coop you will only be able to have 5-6 hens at the most, so you shouldn't need more than 1 or 2 nest boxes.
    Keep up the good work, and would love to see more photos as you go along.

3. nekramp

nekramp New Egg

Dec 1, 2012
    Got to work a little more on my coop tonight. I got the main access door to the hen house made and a window installed and i also put another window on a oppoiste side. I got 4 vents put in also. Now i'm onto the nest box and eletrical!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    That looks very sturdy and well made. Would you consider coming to Texas and building a barn?? [​IMG]

5. nekramp

nekramp New Egg

Dec 1, 2012
    Got the coop stained where it will be visible after the coop is finished. I also got the clean out trays built just need to put the plywood in the bottom of them. I go the nest box framed up and i got a door put into the run!! I still need to finish framing the chimney where the 3 gallon water jug will sit!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. wolfandfinch

wolfandfinch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2011
    Vancouver BC
    Oh hey, we're doing an almost identical coop and run! I'm making mine a little taller, so the roof line starts at 6' so I can walk straight in. I'm planning on 4-6 chickens with a 5'X6' coop in a 6'X10' run. Thanks so much for these pictures, now I know how to cantilever my nest boxes!!! thanks!

I'm also going to do a ridge board along the top of the roof trusses - is there a reason you've chose not to? I don't want to overbuild.

7. wolfandfinch

wolfandfinch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2011
    Vancouver BC
    PS I'm jealous you have the space to build it inside

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    That is a great looking coop and looks predator proof and will last for years!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by