1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello from South Dakota

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by pjcluckers, Oct 12, 2016.

1. pjcluckers

pjcluckers New Egg

Aug 19, 2016
    New Underwood, ,sd
    Hello fellow bird lovers,
    My flock and I live on the beautiful praire east of Rapid. What started as 9 chickens and 5 ducks has grown to 18 chickens 3 beings roos, and 10 ducks 2 being drakes. It was never the intention to have such a big flock however when we discovered we had boys we needed more ladies for them to love. My flock in habits about 150 square feet of our property. I would love to allow them to free range unfortunately they don't like to stay home. They enjoy an 8 by 12 coupe, and the ducks have a great 8 foot pond to swimming and enjoy.
    My duck flock consists of 4 Perkins, 4 Cayuga ,1 Crested, and 1 beloved mutt duck half Pekin and Indian runner.
    My chicken flock is a hogpog of this and that 1 bared rock rooster, 2 Americana, 2 buff orpington, 2 cochin (1 is a roo), 2 wyndots, 5 Rhode Island reds, 2 frizzy, 1 white I have no idea what she is and Mooner the Polish rosters.
    We are gearing up for our first winter and actually had our first freeze and snow fall already. [​IMG]
    Here's to a wonderful year first everyone.

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! What a wonderful flock you have there :D I don't really think it's ever anyone's intentions to end up with such large flocks! I sure didn't think I would end up with so many. It seems there is always room for more.

Good luck for the future and winter. Enjoy your time on BYC :frow

3. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard chickens from Virginia! I am so glad you joined us, and your flock sounds wonderful. I have always admired Cayugas and their beetle green feathers. Have you seen the duck page? You can ask all of your duck questions there: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks. You can find your state thread here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread. You can talk to others with similar weather as you and find out what they have done. I also started a winter chicken keeping thread you might like to read through, it has great tips: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ks-for-coping-the-elements-with-your-chickens. Also, have you read through the Learning center? It has some amazing advice for all things poultry! https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. I hope you will make yourself at home here!

1 person likes this.
  4. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] glad you joined us!

5. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Hi and [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! Your flock sounds lovely [​IMG]I think we all end up with a few birds and end up with 30, well maybe not that many but its close.
    Have a great time on BYC! Enjoy![​IMG]

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, pjcluckers, and :welcome! Great to have you with us! CuzChickens has taken care of the research links so I'll just say best of luck with your flock! :weee

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

9. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by