Hello from South East Tennessee

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by DntBrnDPig, Mar 1, 2015.

1. DntBrnDPig

DntBrnDPig Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2015
    SE Tennessee
    Hello all. I've been lurking this forum for over a year. Finally taking the poultry plunge.

I've been talking my Wife's ear off about starting either Quail or Chickens. She never gave her opinion so I decided to go the quail route. I like the idea of having fresh quail to eat every 8-9 weeks. I also like the idea of quail eggs although I've read some people get sick on quail eggs when they eat a lot of them.

I starting looking into pen/hutch designs and liked the GQF Breeder Pen design so I try to mimic that with my home made job. Heres a link to the video of my first (and only so far) tier for breeding pens.

Quail Breeding Pen

As soon as I got done with this video, my wife peaks her head into the garage and asks 'Whats that?' so I tell her its my quail pen... and she says quail?! I'd rather have chickens... sigh...

Since we are going to be chicken owners I needed a brooder / grow out pen until I can get my old raised dog kennel converted into a coop. So built this the other night. I'm hoping once the chickens are fully feathered I can move them to the coop outside and start using this brooder / grow out pen for my quail.

Here is the link to my brooder/grow out pen. I'm having issues getting it up to temp right now. I just got back from purchasing another heat lamp. I've got cardboard covering the hardware cloth right now. When I get chicks I will put down some pine shavings over the cardboard. I'm hoping after a week or two I can just pull the cardboard out and put it on the floor to collect the droppings that way.

Brooder/Grow out Pen

Let me know what you think!

2. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    Hello and Welcome to BYC fellow Tennessean! We're glad to have another member to the growing poultry community! Feel free to ask any questions you may have, I'm sure you'll find answers to them here! [​IMG]Enjoy your flock!

3. beneduck14

beneduck14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2015
    Cattlet, VA
    First off....[​IMG] There are a lot of pros on this website that can help with anything![​IMG]. Glad you joined and I hope you get a lot of good answers. I [​IMG]LOVE LOVE LOVE the coops you made! I will have to make one for my future quails, what type of quails/chickens are you going to keep?

HAVE A GOOD DAY![​IMG]

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined our "flock!"

Good luck with your future chickens (and possibly quail)!

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC.[​IMG] I'm glad you joined our community!

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

8. DntBrnDPig

DntBrnDPig Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2015
    SE Tennessee
    Thanks all.

I think I've decided on getting 4 Buff Orpingtons and maybe 2 Barred Rocks. I may add a rooster of some variety to this mix as well. From what I've read they would probably do well together. Think that would be the case?

Also, I have the choice of going to Tractor Supply and hand picking these out the pullets bin. Or I can go to a local farm that is selling them. I would so much rather go to the farm but they sell theirs as 'straight run'. I'd hate to end up with fewer than 4 hens.

9. Joshua G

Joshua G Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Hixson, TN
    WELCOME TO BYC!
    I'm in Chattanooga TN, glad to have you here!

I would recommend going to TSC to get your pullets as they also have a guarantee on the birds you purchase.
    If you do, make sure to call ahead as they can sell out pretty quickly.
    The Barred Rocks and Orpingtons sound great and will do well together.
    As far as a rooster, you only need one if you are wanting to hatch the eggs.
    But having a rooster without the intentions of hatching eggs would be fine as he would protect them to a certain extent from other animals.
    Feel free to ask lots of questions and check out the "Learning Center" where you can find tons of great information.

10. what's kickin' chicken

what's kickin' chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Missouri
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by