Hello from South Georgia

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by maryhtc, Mar 21, 2011.

1. maryhtc

maryhtc New Egg

Mar 21, 2011
    Hi,

I'm Mary. Just getting started in the chicken world as an adult on my own. I have been around chickens most of my childhood. For a few years I was in charge of the chicks after they were hatched (including rounding up the ones that hatched somewhere other than the prepared nesting boxes) and until they were big enough to let loose in the yard. We never really had any specific breed, they all just intermingled and lived in the barn. We did have a Rhode Island Red once and one that laid multiple colored eggs. We also had guineas, ducks, and geese.

I am trying to decide what type of coop I am going to build, but have yet to find a building plan that I think I can follow. Most of them are going to require some adaptation in order for me to be able to use them way down here in all this heat. I guess I also need to figure out what type of chicken I want to have as that will probably help in the coop area.

My favorite chickens are Cochin bantums. I like the black ones, though any with feather covered feet are just adorable in my book. I also like the white crested black Polish.

I'll be poking around the forums here trying to make some better informed decisions. Thanks in advance for all the advice! [​IMG]

2. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Ohio
    [​IMG] from John in Ohio [​IMG]

3. crazyaboutchickens

crazyaboutchickens Live Long And Prosper

Apr 10, 2010
    Nowhere/Everywhere
    [​IMG] from New York!

4. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] from Hesperia, Ca and [​IMG]

5. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    [​IMG]

6. Cacciatore

Cacciatore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    San Pablo, CA
    Welcome from Northern California. [​IMG]

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Welcome!

You might want to use the blue search button and do a search for hot or warm weather coops. Down here they have a lot of trouble with heat and none with the cold. Many have 2 or 3 solid walls only. Henderson's chicken chart talks about which breeds tolerate heat best, among other things.

8. mamawolf544

mamawolf544 Unbreakable Heart

Apr 29, 2009
    alvarado, Tx
    [​IMG] from Texas.
    You will love this group, from chicken talk, to games. There is something for everybody.

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. I live in Camden County.

10. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by