Hello from South Mississippi

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by rugerham, May 17, 2011.

1. rugerham

rugerham Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    HEY YALL! [​IMG] (that's redneck humor there...)

My wife thinks I'm crazy because I decided to grow a garden, establish a couple of bee hives, and buy some chickens all in the same week. [​IMG]

Well, I missed out on the bees this season, but the garden is coming along great and my kids and I brought home two pullets last Saturday morning from a Farmer's Market. To be honest, I don't even know what kind they are and I really, really, really hope they are female!! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

It took me about 3 weeks to build the coop and the good news is that at the end of that time, the thing pretty much stands on its own and I still have all my fingers.

I live in a sub-division that explicitly prohibits owning poultry so shhhh, don't tell anyone! When the girls and I talk about the <you know whats> we say "bunnies". ha ha ha [​IMG]

I built the following coop: https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=42841-rossetti-tractor

It
    works great. Mine looks pretty much identical to the pictures on the link above except that I painted my brown to blend in with my trees in the back yard.

Maybe someone can help me identify what types of chickens these are. I'm guessing that the one on the left is Rhode Island Red, but I'm not sure.

[​IMG]

By the way, the one on the left belongs to my 9 yo and is named "Petunia" and the one the right belongs to my 10 yo and is named "FRY-day".

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

3. AyeUpChuck

AyeUpChuck Striving for Self-Sufficiency

Mar 7, 2011
    Beavercreek, OR
    [​IMG] from Oregon via Louisiana

4. MarkMatt

MarkMatt Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    Prairieville, LA
    Welcome to the forums! Good luck with your "bunnies".

5. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from SE Alabama. Congrats & good luck with your girls [​IMG] You might want to post their pics in the What Breed or Gender is This? section & you should get a lot of help.

6. what's kickin' chicken

what's kickin' chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Missouri
    [​IMG] Hi [​IMG] ..... "bunnies" [​IMG]

7. Chickencoop1996

Chickencoop1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    southern nh
    [​IMG] from nh

8. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana

9. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    [​IMG] from Indiana!!!! [​IMG]

10. rugerham

rugerham Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. I look forward to learning and talking with y'all about all things chicken.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by