Hello from South Yorkshire, England

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Ida Brown, May 10, 2016.

1. Ida Brown

Ida Brown Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2016
    South Yorkshire, England
    Hi,

We currently have some Japanese quail (new to quail) and have kept chickens in the past, but took a short break when we went down to one little silkie, who has been on 'holiday' to a friends whilst we took the opportunity to do some work in the garden and rearrange their living quarters. Hopefully she'll be back with us soon and she'll have some new companions.

I keep forgetting we don't currently have any chickens and keep having a senior moment and telling my eldest daughter to go out and check/feed them [​IMG] Every so often I think I see one (we may have ghost chickens...)

Eldest dd and OH are interested in starting up showing, so we've been doing some reading up on breeds and show standards, etc and hope to visit a few local(ish) shows to get to know what it might entail. It's looking like everyone is veering towards bantams of some sort.

We also have a couple of rabbits and a lurcher and have to be mindful a) of our lurcher (as she's a dear with people, but not small animal safe) and b) our regular sparrow hawk visitor and the buzzards that wheel over our house (we're have fields and woods over the road from us and buzzards are a common sight) - obviously there will be foxes and rats knocking about (but I count them as an obvious given).

Anyway, looking forward to learning more (there's always so much to learn!)

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Attend some shows, decide on the breed or breeds that appeal to you, and obtain birds from someone who consistently does well at the shows. Good luck at reestablishing your flock.

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I'm sure our greeter Yorkshire Coop will be around to welcome you. In the mean time " Welcome to Backyard chickens, glad you joined the flock [​IMG]

6. Ida Brown

Ida Brown Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2016
    South Yorkshire, England
    Thank you, all :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by