Hello from Southern California!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Kristina93, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Kristina93

Kristina93 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2010
    Southern California
    Hello everyone! My name is Kristina. I have a wonderful husband and two young children. My son is just over 2 years old and my daughter is 9 months. My husbands' grandmother lives with us. [​IMG]

Grandma and I have been wanting chickens for a while. DH finally gave in and said, "Fine. As long as I don't have to do anything for them." Fine by me!

My brother in law went with Grandma to our local feed store and went half's on the 'coop'. Okay... it's a two story rabbit hutch. We modified it by putting hardware wire across the larger opening since we do have racoons in the area.

The next day, Grandma, the kids and I went to get our first chicks. We came home with a Barred Rock, an Aracuna, and a Rhode Island Red. We used our bathtub as our brooder. It worked... for about 2 weeks. Then we put our girls outside with the heat lamp in case it was too cold.

We had decided that the coop was big enough for no more than 4.. . maybe 5 chickens, if we let them free range our yard during the day.

Next thing you know, BIL went and ordered two more chickens for us. Grandma really wanted a Polish and a Silkie. Well, she got her Polish, but not the Silkie. We got a silver Seabright. We now had 5 chickens. The MAX we could see having space for.

Then DH goes to the feed store with us. All I needed was more Grow Mash, a larger feeder, and some meal worms.

We came home with 2 rabbits and the hutch and everything to go with them, AND 2 more chickens!!! DH's reasoning??? HE WANTED A CHICKEN OF HIS OWN! And we should just let Grandma get that crazy Frizzle one too!

We are now the proud owners of a CA white and a Frizzle, (which I think is a roo!... could be trouble for us.)

Needless to say... DH and I are now building a new coop and run for the chickens. We have too many cats in the neighborhood and two of our back walls are only 5 feet tall, and we don't want our chickens going over the fences.

While we could not find anything in the city ordinances that specifically say, "No chickens." When I called, anonumously (how in the heck do you spell that?), they said, "No chickens, only pigeons." But they couldn't point it out to me either in writing.

So, we are careful with which neighbors we tell. They all could pretty much care less. I don't call the cops on them when they are out back smoking weed or the dogs next door that bark All Night Long, or the ones with the dog that tries to jump over and bite you.... so they shouldn't call on us. We are pretty much a.. you do what you do, and I'll do what I do, and I'll leave you alone, type of neighborhood. Mostly. We also had a pig at one point, and we weren't 'supposed' to have him either, but we did.

Our new coop will be 4" wide, 3" deep and about 7" tall. It's not really as big as we would like, but it's the space that we have for them. Their run will be about 10" long, 3" deep and about 5" tall. I'm hoping this will be big enough for them to all be happy. We are planning for 2 nesting boxes and hanging outdoor feeders and waterers. Because of where the run is... I might try to convince DH to build a mounted feeder on the wall to save some space.

I plan on doing the deep something or other stuff in the coop and we will have roosts for them inside and out.

We live where 50 degrees is COLD to us, and we don't tend to get too much rain.

I'm looking forward to getting to know some of you and raising chickens with you!

2. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    Welcome from Oregon. Congrats and good luck with your chickens! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC from The Pampered Pullets Farm in Central Florida
    [​IMG]

4. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    [​IMG]

5. LALASD4

LALASD4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I have the same problem, I started with 2 chicks and now have too many.[​IMG]

6. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    [​IMG] I know I ended up with more chickens than I planned for and I started off with 3 empty coops...

7. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Hi Kristina! [​IMG] from S. Florida! Its great to have you here with us! [​IMG]

8. mpathhealr

mpathhealr Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2010
    Hi and welcome.
    I too am a newbie here. Glad the folks are all so nice. I am also in Southern Californina, which is why I'm adding it to your little spot.

I've raised chickens before, along with a pygmy goat, and rabbits, turkeys and a goose. They were crazy times! Now I have 2 small dogs, 5 chickens that I think one is a roo but was purchased as a pullet!, and one rescued rabbit who hates me and bites. I keep him for the manure! [​IMG]

I pieced my coop together with mismatched pallets and other parts of wooden furniture that hubby and I whacked apart to use the boards! Added a bit of chicken wire, and used wire crates for their nesting boxes. There are 3 RIR purchased fully grown, and 2 Black Australorps bought as the pullets mentioned above. I'm getting 3 eggs almost daily right now. If the one IS a roo, he will go back and I will have him traded for a hen. Or else I'll manage to get him into a soup pot! [​IMG]

I just wanted to mention to the first lady to post this thread, instead of this " -which is actually indicating inches, you wanted to use this ' -which is what I think you meant, as 4 inches wide by 3 inches deep is not big enough for a chick!! And who is DH!? Dang Husband?[​IMG]

("Our new coop will be 4" wide, 3" deep and about 7" tall. It's not really as big as we would like, but it's the space that we have for them. Their run will be about 10" long, 3" deep and about 5" tall. I'm hoping this will be big enough for them to all be happy. We are planning for 2 nesting boxes and hanging outdoor feeders and waterers. Because of where the run is... I might try to convince DH to build a mounted feeder on the wall to save some space.")

9. aprile

aprile New Egg

Sep 19, 2010
    Hi Kristina93! Your post caught my eye as I, too, am from southern California! I was born and raised in the Los Angeles area. I had lived briefly in northern California too. And my brothers still live in the San Bernadino mountain area. I moved to Michigan in 1999 and am enjoyng a small backyard flock of 19 free-ranging birds on 3 acres. I,too have a mix; 1 bantam mixed rooster (Eldon), 1 silver-laced wyandotte standard rooster and 17 girls. A mix of Buff Orpingtons, Barred Rocks and Sliverlaced Wyandottes. Oh and Meatball, the lone Isla Brown we picked up at the elevator because we thought she was pretty.She stands out like a meatball on a plate of spaghetti.
    And our last Auracana from the first clutch we raised 8 years ago. Shes very old but still gets around and dominates some of the younger girls. Good luck with your run. It sounds like you are really trying to raise happy chickens!

10. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    [​IMG] Hi from San Diego!! Glad to hear that DH is joining in on the fun. The kids will have so much fun collecting eggs. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by