Hello from Southern Illinois

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BrentG, May 26, 2016.

1. BrentG

BrentG Just Hatched

May 26, 2016
    Southern Illinois
    Hello!
    My name is Brent and I'm from Southern Illinois. My wife and I have spent months reading as much as we can about raising chickens and finally decided it was time to get a flock of our own. We went with ten 2-4 week pullets (4 RIRs, 2 Americuanas, 2 White Leghorns, and 2 Black Laced Wyandottes). They are getting along great. Our plan when we went to the store was to start with six but, well, we experienced chicken math on day one... so, because of that, I had to double the size of the coop I'm building. It's now 5X8 and slopes from about 5ft. tall down to 3 or so (not including the nesting boxes). I also included 11 linear feet of perches at the tall end to roost. I've been using scrap wood from my garage, and taking progress pics, so once I'm done the run I'll post pictures (it's storming here, so it'll probably be another few days, but I figured it's time to join the site because I'm here multiple times a day).
    The chicks are incredibly cute and fun -- we let them out (supervised) a few times and they play tug-o-war with worms, king of the hill on the compost pile, we started them with "organic" chick feed but also threw in some chick grits. They love crickets but don't seem to be too interested in yogurt or strawberries. I think we'll try hard boiled egg today or tomorrow. Yesterday I put two perches in their brooding box (2ft x 4ft with a heat lamp in the garage) and they're using it. So much fun!
    Anyhow, just saying hello. We have a dog that is incredibly protective of them (won't leave their side or let them wander), which is pretty amazing to watch. We also keep two beehives, garden, mushroom hunt, forage, and make our own wine.
    Thank for all the great info -- this is by far our go-to site!

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Brent and welcome to BYC - congrats on your new flock - sounds great.

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center, and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you.

All the best
    CT

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Brent. [​IMG]

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] I love chicken math… it's the only math I was every any good at! lol If you're interested, you can put a coop page together with those pics and enter it in our coop page contest. More info on all that here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/953810/coop-pages-and-member-pages-tutorial-and-feedback/0_30

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-and-run-page-contest-winter-spring-2016/0_30

Please note: The system will require you to post a bit more, before allowing you to create a page, I think it's around 10 posts. Enjoy the site!

6. BrentG

BrentG Just Hatched

May 26, 2016
    Southern Illinois
    Thanks! Yeah, I'll probably give that a try, it's starting to come along quite nicely, I think. We live in the country with lots of woods so there are plenty of predators (bobcats, snakes, coyotes, etc.) so I've been spending a lot of time trying to make it safe -- I used 1/4" fabric wire instead of 1" poultry netting, buried it pretty deep, and poured a concrete pad. I still have some concrete to pour tomorrow and a door to build. I'll post a few more times then see if I can't get the pics uploaded.

7. BrentG

BrentG Just Hatched

May 26, 2016
    Southern Illinois
    The main reason I'm not posting is because every time I have a question I just use the search feature and the answer is right there!! I'm on a mead forum and people seem to get cranky when noobs ask questions that have been covered a bazillion times, so it's habit I guess. Anyhow, thanks for the great info!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by