hello from southern Indiana

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kathyngary, Jun 27, 2016.

1. kathyngary

kathyngary New Egg

Jun 20, 2016
    Indiana
    Hello all. We live near Loogootee, in Martin co. Had chickens for about a year now. Still learning as much as we can about them. We have 3 hens and 1roo. I believe they are Delawares. Fun to deal with, and the eggs are excellent, as you know. Until next time. Bye now.

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

3. uncertainty

uncertainty Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2015
    Great White North
    Hi Kathyngary;

Glad you are here. Sounds like you are a lot further along the learning curve than me. My first flock is about 7 weeks old now. I have a questions for you with respect to hen : rooster ratio. I have 25 straight run chickens, looks like 12 boys and 13 girls. I was planning to keep one rooster and process the extra boys mid-August. Are you having any behaviour problems with 1 roo : 3 girls? My reading suggests I should plan on 1 rooster / dozen hens. Perhaps I should be thinking of keeping 2 or 3 roosters. What is your opinion?

Many thanks,

4. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

Be sure to check out your thread on here. You will be surprised at how many folks near you have chickens!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Kathy & Gary, hope you enjoy Backyard chickens as much as we do.

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

7. kathyngary

kathyngary New Egg

Jun 20, 2016
    Indiana
    we got 1 hen about a year ago. In about sept/Oct we got 2 more ns and the roo. It's worked out good so far. We plan on expanding in the future, but probably not with more Delawares. No particular reason though.

8. kathyngary

kathyngary New Egg

Jun 20, 2016
    Indiana
    T
    thank you. We enjoy them a lot. First time living in the country for me. We both absolutely love it.

9. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    That's so cool! I was in the same situation a few years back, and it sure can be a heck of a learning curve! [​IMG] But completely worth it. [​IMG]. Thanks for joining us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by