Hello from Southern Indiana!!

ssmith47112

Hatching
10 Years
May 4, 2009
Southern Indiana
Hello everyone!! We recently moved from the city out to our own little 4 acre slice of heaven in October. Once it warmed up though, we found out that heaven is infested with ticks!! I had planned on getting goats when we moved, but now I have my heart set on some guinea fowl!! The only feathered friends I've owned (since I was a kid) have been parakeets, so needless to say, I'm new to this!!

We're hoping to get some day old keets so that they can be free range during the day and will hopefully come home to roost at night. I've read a ton about raising the babies and keeping them in their pen for 6 weeks after they move outside so they will come back once they're set free. What I'm wondering is what kind of house should be build for them outside? I'm not sure exactly what kind of shelter they'll need and I'm particularly concerned about keeping them safe and comfortable in the winter time.

Also, I've had trouble finding anyone locally to purchase keets from. Any suggestions on where we could get them in the Southern Indiana area? (Would be willing to drive an hour or more each way to pick them up) Or has anyone had keets shipped to you from a place you'd recommend?

Oh, and I do have one other question. We have inside dogs and a large portion of the backyard is fenced (4 ft. chain link) for the dogs. Will the guineas go inside the fence to eat or will they just avoid the area? And if we let the dogs out (one is an accomplished bird dog) will they be able to fly away or will we always need to check if they're inside the fence before putting the dogs out?

Thanks so much!!!! I know I've asked 50 million questions so if you've stuck with me this far, thank you again!!
big_smile.png

~stephanie

welcome-byc.gif
from North carolina!
frow.gif

The guinea will go in there, but hopefully they will leave when the dogs go outside. I would check before letting them out, just in case! They are pretty much scared of everything, and move very fast.! Good luck!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom