Hello from Southern Indiana

Bill Paul

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 12, 2011
Southern Indiana
Hello everyone! I'm brand new to this backyard chicken thing. I got bit by the chicken bug a couple of months ago when Rural King opened a new store in our town. Took me a little while to get the wife's approval, but she's an animal lover as well, so it wasn't that hard. My 15 year old daughter was on board from the get go, and helped me talk mom into it.
wink.png
I've done a lot of research over the last few weeks, and BYC is by far the best resource I've found! Our 5 chicks arrived on 6/7 from MPC safe and sound. 2 Barred Rocks, 2 Silver Laced Wyandottes and a Rhode Island Red. I really had no idea they would be so entertaining! At just under 2 weeks old, I can already see personalities developing.
We have just a little over a 1/2 acre in the middle of town, surrounded by GOOD neighbors. They think I'm a little nuts, (they're right.
tongue.png
) but they're all looking forward to fresh eggs.
smile.png
I've started gathering materials for the coop, and will get started on that next weekend. I'm a carpenter by trade, and have access to a lot of scrap, so I got that going for me.

Thanks for having me, and wish me luck!

Bill

Welcome, from PA, and enjoy your chicks!! It's so nice your daughter is involved too!
smile.png

Hey Bill!

I'm exactly where you are - I joined the forum just yesterday, and agree this place is the best resource out there.

My husband (not a carpenter, but still dang handy) and I are picking up materials to build a coop this weeked. Chicks come next Friday! We'll keep them in the living room for about 8 weeks before moving them outside.

Look forward to hearing some good stories!

- Kim

Back
Top Bottom