Hello from Southern Indiana

ilona05

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 16, 2011
Hello,

My husband and I have a small hobby farm (10 acres), with 8 hens (7 Americaunas and 1 Barred Rock), and one Americauna rooster. The Barred Rock and rooster were both rescues, the rooster has one eye, so we call him "Redjack". They are all doing great in a coop my husband built. We have the chickens for the eggs, otherwise they're pets and very tame. They jump into my husbands arms when they see him, and will even sit in my 2 year old daughter's lap (even the rooster!) I'll post pictures soon!

We also have 3 ducks (1 pekin and 2 rouen), 4 guinea fowl, and one female turkey. They turkey, guineas and ducks were all raised together, so they stick together. It's funny to watch the guineas try to figure out why they just don't want to swim like the ducks in the duck pool! These are all pets, and they are put up at night in several large dog crates in our garage/workshop to keep them safe from predators. We also have 2 dogs (lab and Aussie) who stay outside all night to protect our gardens from deer, and our sheep (we have 11 Soay sheep) and chickens, etc. The dogs do a great job of keeping predators away. Our land is fenced with electric fencing, and other than little ground squirrels and moles, I've never seen any varmints on the land. No bunnies eat in our garden for sure! We get a brave deer now and then who is able to jump the electric fence, but they don't stick around long if the dogs are out. The dogs stay inside in the winter nights, and are inside each evening after the animals are all put up for the evening, to hang out with us until we go to bed, then they are back outside.

It's great to be on this site and we look forward to reading everyone's stories!

Sincerely,
Ilona and Andy

Hello from big Bear Ca. nice to meet you!
frow.gif

welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom