Hello from Southern Indiana

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by SkinNFluff, Sep 17, 2011.

1. SkinNFluff

SkinNFluff Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Harrison County Indiana
    figured would start off and say hi. my family and i live in southern indiana nearly on the ohio river. currently our family consists of myself (joe), my wife (connie), our 6 year old son (paul), 2 border collies (kay-ak and ziggy), and a chinese crested (alex). ohh and we also have a 55 gallon tank of fish. current chicken count = 0.

well paul has talked about wanting to become a farmer for the past three years and raising animals on his farm. 2 years ago at the local fair he was trampled by a pig who did not want to get a bath before he went out in the show ring. well paul survived with a couple bruises and a very strong dislike for pigs. but i can understand why lol. anyway we live in a small town on just over an acre of property. so we have some room but not a lot.

well paul seen bunnies at the fair last year and said he wanted one. well we let him down easy and just told him maybe when he proves to us he is responsible enough. after that day he started cleaning his room every day without being told or even given a hint. he has pretty much completely taken over nearly all the dog responsibilities. feeds them, waters them, cleans up any mess they they make. even picks up all the poop out of the yard. he has also kept up on putting away all the laundry and clean dishes. and has never once complained or even had to be asked to do any of it. he just does it on his own. well it has been about a year and a half of this and he has never brought up getting a bunny again. but he still talks about becoming an animal farmer.

well last month i started thinking about how well he has done and decided if he wants to be a farmer when he grows up then he might as well get started now. he has proven he is beyond responsible. well i thought about getting him a couple rabbits. that thought quickly left my head because really what do rabbits do other than eat and poop? well we all like eggs. so chickens was my next thought. so i started doing some research and lurking here. after figuring out a bit i brought the idea up wit the misses. she loved the idea. next as research more. so reading about the different breeds we have decided on silkies to start out with. we have been pricing supplies like river sand, fencing, feed, ect. plans for a 8'x12' coop with a 12'x25' run are in the works. also planning on a privacy fence around the back yard to help keep any pests away.

we will get started on building the coop and run in the late winter to early spring time. once that is finished or nearly finished we will head out to pickup some day old chicks. most likely start off with 12. once they can be sexed we plan to find home for any extra roos. well i guess will go back to being a lurker since i am not learning anything by typing this. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  2. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    Hello and Welcome from Michigan!! What a great experience for your son to have. My kids love our chickens! Good luck with your plans....it'll all be worth your time and effort!!!

3. Leia's Chickens

Leia's Chickens A Sunkissed Delight

Jun 20, 2010
    Oklahoma!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

5. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    [​IMG]

Are you anywhere near Madison? My grandparents came from there, a LONG time ago...

6. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

8. Parson's Wife

Parson's Wife Blessed Abundantly

Jan 22, 2008
    Arkansas
    [​IMG] Welcome! Enjoy...it's a great place!

9. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!!

10. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. Just a tip on building your, use screws nots nails. Screws are easier to remove when rearranging pens becomes necessary do to chicken math. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by