Hello from Southern Maine

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Moxiechick, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Moxiechick

Moxiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    Maine
    Hi There,

I'm still in the planning and plotting, scheming and dreaming stage of chicken ownership. It's taken a few months to convince my partner how much improved our life will be once chickens are included in the picture. I think I've finally succeeded, as I received a copy of "City Chicks" (We're rural, but the book is still relevant!), "The Chicken Health Handbook" and a subscription to "Backyard Poultry" for Christmas! [​IMG] We are even going to the NE Poultry Congress Show tomorrow, as we are hoping to find local folks who have the breeds we are interested in, rather than going the shipping route this spring.

I've been lurking on this site for a few weeks now, getting a lot of great information. I'll be building a coop this spring, and I've found many helpful tips here. We already have our four raised garden beds fenced in, to protect against woodchucks. I'm planning on building a coop with a run within this fenced area, and allowing them in the garden area in early spring and then once the plants have matured and/or been shielded from hungry beaks.

I started out wanting chickens as source of fresh, humanely raised eggs, but have been very impressed reading about all the good that chickens contribute to the garden. Compost making and eating weeds/weed seeds and all the garden bugs! Any chicken living with us needn't worry about retirement once her egg laying days are over... as long as she's willing to eat bugs and poop, she's more than welcome! (Who am I kidding? They will be pets and always welcome... I'm just weird for considering pooping a bonus I guess.) The breeds I'm considering are Bantam Ameraucanas, Orpingtons, and Wyandottes.

Sheesh! I haven't even gotten any chickens yet, and I'm already obsessed. What's going to happen once I actually have birds?!!

2. popcornpuppy

popcornpuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    Holland, Massachusetts
    [​IMG]

from a chicken lover in MA

3. NoelTate

NoelTate Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    Mobile, AL
    Welcome! I spent a week in the northeast last summer and absolutely fell in love with Maine. You live in a beautiful state!!

4. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    [​IMG]
    Edited to remove excessive use of the Welcome smiley, one is sufficient, hundreds slow everyone down

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2010
  5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG] and [​IMG] from S. Florida! Glad you joined us!

6. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas size [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Gonzo

Gonzo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    [​IMG] From Indiana! [​IMG]

8. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Ha Ha...Another victim to the chickens! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]