Hello from Southern Nevada!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by personalfowl, Oct 24, 2013.

1. personalfowl

personalfowl New Egg

Oct 16, 2013
    Northwest Las Vegas Nevada
    Hi, my wife and I (along with our 3 kids - 2 boys 18y/o, 2 y/o, and our 14y/o girl) are in Northwest Las Vegas. New to the idea of chickens in our back (side) yard. Wife has been wanting chickens for a while, and I've been playing the "no" card for some time. Only playing mean so I can research the whole idea for a bit and do it legally and as a surprise to her. Just purchased a coop and will have to put it together when it gets here then weatherproof it for the little rain and massive amounts of sun it will get. After I will take some time to set it up with bedding, feeder, dusting area, foraging area and auto waterer for the chickens before we get them. I'd like to be as ready as I can so there are fewer surprises. We live in the county and not the city so at least that part is easier, I dont need written consent from my neighbors! Yay! Mainly these chickens are going to be for eggs, a hobby (they will be spoiled no doubt!), and something for my 2y/o to be able to grow up with and provide some very good life lessons he can look back on. Heck, I guess it will provide all of us with some! My list of favorite breeds after some research is Australorp, Barred Plymouth Rock, Rhode Island Red, White Leghorn, Easter Egger, and a Blue Ameraucana. I figure we will have between 4 and 6 birds depending on actual size of the coop and run after putting it together and what I can add to it so the birds are comfortable and have ample room. The only problem I am coming up while researching is finding a place that has these birds in stock for purchase. I dont mind traveling for them though, so I will figure that out after everything is ready. Should make for a cool Christmas present! Anyway, that is us and our (my) plans. If anyone in the Vegas area is on here and has any tips, pointers, and/or good advice for this whole new thing I am about to get knee deep in....I'm all ears. Oh, and I dont like the username I came up with! Any way to change it?

2. jmandawn

jmandawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Palmer, Alaska
    Good husband !

Welcome to BYC! If you have a local CO-OP that is a good place to start looking for chicks. You can also find several peeps on here that sell chicks.

3. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    Hello and welcome.[​IMG] What a great surprise for the wife.

4. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
  5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC! Check out the Where Am I Where Are You forum for people in your state, they may be able to give you advice on a good place to get chicks in your area, and help with chicken keeping in your state. https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you If you are considering mail order, the big hatcheries should have most of those breeds. Also your local TSC or feed store that sells chicks in the spring can often special order chicks for you that you can pick up there.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]when you have 20 posts you can participate in the Buy-sell-trade forum on BYC, you might want to take a glimpse at it anyway

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Happy you joined!

9. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

Welcome and enjoy!
    Steve.[​IMG]

10. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! I'll PM about the username change.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by