Hello from southern New England

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Squiggytheroo, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Squiggytheroo

Squiggytheroo New Egg

Jul 27, 2013
    Hi everyone, my name is Sam. I am a stay at home mom of two wonderful kids. I also work part-time on my best friend's poultry farm where I am lucky enough to bring my little one to work with me. Best job in the world! Anyways, I absolutely love chickens and have 16 of my own. I'd have more if I had the space for it. I have a golden laced polish mix (we don't know with what) named Squiggy, a barred rock my husband named Eagle, a speckled sussex named Shirley, and an ameraucana named Laverne. I started with just two roosters. Squiggy and his pal Lenny. After about a year and a half together Lenny needed to move on. He needed some girls as he was trying to 'make babies' with Squiggy. He now lives with a wonderful family and has plenty of ladies. Squiggy couldn't live alone so we got the three hens just for him. I also have a second flock of all silkie bantams. Pumpkin (buff roo), Pepper (black roo), Petunia (buff hen), Baby (black hen), Bob (blue hen), Fifi (white roo), Bubbles (black, not sure of the sex yet, only 2 months old), Fancy Pants (buff pullet), Doodle (splash pullet), Pip Squeak (blue pullet), M.C. (Mother Clucker splash baby), and Gizmo (blue baby). I love all of my chickens but silkies are my favorite chicken breed. I have just started breeding my BBS and buff silkies. The white roo my daughter will be showing at the local fair this year. I also have 3 dogs, Ox (black and tan coonhound/shiba inu mix), Willie Nelson (shi-tzu/poodle mix), and Nemo (english bulldog). We also have a lop rabbit (Luna), two leopard puffer fish (Pigglesworth and Jigglypuff) and a betta fish (Boo). I think chickens are by far the best pets. Unlike most people, I didn't get chickens to have eggs. In fact, I don't really care for eggs. I wanted them as pets and in the beginning didn't even have any hens. I love watching my kids growing up with chickens. They have so much personality and the kids love to feed them and catch bugs for them. They've taught my kids more responsibility than any other pet. They collect eggs (unless we have a broody sitting on them), fill feeders and waterers, and even help clean out the coops. Funny thing is, they actually want to do it. Getting them to care for the dogs or fish is another story though. I have to say, working on a poultry farm has really opened my eyes as to how many chicken owners know absolutely nothing about the animals they are raising. We love to answer questions and are always trying to learn as much as possible about our feather babies but I urge anyone who is new to chickens or is thinking about getting chickens to please do a little research into what is involved in keeping your chickens happy and healthy. It's so sad getting phone calls from people telling us they're losing their chicks or chickens. Most of the time it's things that could be avoided by simply understanding the kind of care chicks need and knowing signs of illness/stress in older birds. And probably the most frustrating thing for me is when people get chickens and fail to check local laws to make sure they can have chickens where they live. It's very important to check with your town to make sure chickens are allowed where you live. Some towns prohibit them, others prohibit roosters, and most have a limit on the number that you are allowed to own. For the sake of your birds, please check this prior to purchasing your birds. This website has a lot of great information and I've visit it regularly. Finally signed up.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings, Squiggytheroo, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our flock! You are very correct about folks sometimes going in with wide eyes and enthusiasm but lacking some of the knowledge they need to do a good job. That's why BYC is such a great resource for chicken keepers to be as well as those of us who have had birds for years - I am always picking up valuable insights from others on this site!! Thanks for posting and best of luck with your flock!

1 person likes this.
  3. Rainy Morning

Rainy Morning Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2013
    Georgia
    We're so glad you're joining! Welcome to BYC, Squiggytheroo.

Wow, you've got quite the flock there! So much personality.

We hope to see more of you and your flock's progress on the forums!

1 person likes this.
  4. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome....so glad you joined BYC

Silkies are my favorites too. Wish I had more time to breed and raise more. Good luck with your flocks

1 person likes this.
  5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. saracalderas

saracalderas Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2013
    Centeral Utah
    Welcome!

1 person likes this.
  7. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] welcome to BYC. Thank you for telling it like it is. Some people need to hear that over and over and over before it sinks in. You have some interesting animals, I am especially curious to know what a cross between coonhound and shiba inu looks like. Any photos??

9. Squiggytheroo

Squiggytheroo New Egg

Jul 27, 2013
    Thank you! I know what you mean about them needing to be told over and over and over. I work on a poultry farm/hatchery. I can't even tell you how many people want to buy chicks and don't have a clue how to care for them. We tell them all of what is needed and give out brochures (kind of like chicks for dummies) and still have people calling about everything or calling because they thought a heating pad was a good substitute for a heat lamp. smh. The most recent was 'i think my chick is a hen because it's louder than the others. but it still looks like a chicken.' Not even sure where to start with that one! LOL Anyways, the coonhound/shiba inu mix looks nothing like a shiba-inu other than a pretty curled tail. He looks like a small coon hound with shorter ears and tighter skin. I'll try to post pics soon.

10. Squiggytheroo

Squiggytheroo New Egg

Jul 27, 2013
    I finally got the pics posted. The big black dog (oxford) is the shiba-inu/coonhound mix.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by