Hello from Southern Utah!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by WesternWynde, Oct 21, 2016.

1. WesternWynde

WesternWynde Just Hatched

Oct 21, 2016
    Hello all!

I've spent a lot of time browsing around on this forum and finally decided to create an account. I had Buff Brahma Bantams and Old English Game Bantams growing up until my dad sold our farm when I was seventeen. I'm 26 now and finally was able to get some chickens of my own this year. I ordered a mixed laying flock from Murray McMurray, and ended up with a nice assortment of hens, but realized I really wanted some EE's. SO, I now have several three week old little EE's in addition to my already established laying flock. We've got five acres, so I have room to experiment and expand.

I look forward to connecting with you all and hopefully meeting some fellow chicken enthusiasts in southern Utah!

2. Athaid

Athaid Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey, welcome to BYC :)

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  4. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Welcome, So glad you have joined us.

Sounds like a lovely flock, good luck with introducing the newbies to the elders.

5. WesternWynde

Oct 21, 2016

Thanks Sunflour. We never had a problem introducing our pullets into the flock when I was a kid, but this will be my first time doing it on my own, and I have got a terribly mean black sex link hen. I'm a bit nervous. I think I'll just move the whole coop to a new location when it's time, hopefully that will help.

6. WesternWynde

Oct 21, 2016
  7. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! Type ''See but don't touch'' into the search bar at the top, the first result in a excellent method of introducing new chickens. Thanks for joining us, and I hope you enjoy BYC as much as I have!

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Do you really need a "terribly mean black sex link hen?" Is she just aggressive to chickens or people as well? Either way she must be upsetting the status quo. It isn't just mean roosters that need to go to "freezer camp."

9. WesternWynde

Oct 21, 2016

I'd like to keep her until April, which is when our new birds should start laying (we keep our flock for eggs), and then, yes, I have her marked for freezer camp. If things go badly during the introduction, though, she might be out sooner.

Edit:
    Only mean to other birds.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  10. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello, and welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by