Hello from Southwest Virginia

Moon Goddess

In the Brooder
Jun 18, 2018
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I am new to chickens this year. I have always wanted them but never had the opportunity. I got 8 chicks in April, and after some losses and additions I now have 12 pullets that should be laying in the next couple of weeks!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
I currently have 12

(3) What breeds do you have?
I have one Rhode Island Red, 2 Silver-Laced Wyandottes, and 9 Easter Eggers (I think that’s what they are, I guess I’ll find out when they lay!)

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
Googling lots of chicken stuff

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I like to garden, read, spend time outside, play with my dog, and build furniture for my cats

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I just got married last September, and since then my wife and I have moved from downtown to an off-grid tiny house on 10 acres. We are trying to get into homesteading and want to sell handmade items, eggs, and some vegetables. Mostly we just want to be self sustaining and be closer to the earth. My parents own the property and live in “the big house” with their dog Henry and both of my grandmothers. In the tiny house my wife and I share the space our dog Jasper and cats Gypsy and Raja. Between the run and coop, the 12 chickens have more square footage than we do!

awesome clear.gif
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I am new to chickens this year. I have always wanted them but never had the opportunity. I got 8 chicks in April, and after some losses and additions I now have 12 pullets that should be laying in the next couple of weeks!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
I currently have 12

(3) What breeds do you have?
I have one Rhode Island Red, 2 Silver-Laced Wyandottes, and 9 Easter Eggers (I think that’s what they are, I guess I’ll find out when they lay!)

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
Googling lots of chicken stuff

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I like to garden, read, spend time outside, play with my dog, and build furniture for my cats

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I just got married last September, and since then my wife and I have moved from downtown to an off-grid tiny house on 10 acres. We are trying to get into homesteading and want to sell handmade items, eggs, and some vegetables. Mostly we just want to be self sustaining and be closer to the earth. My parents own the property and live in “the big house” with their dog Henry and both of my grandmothers. In the tiny house my wife and I share the space our dog Jasper and cats Gypsy and Raja. Between the run and coop, the 12 chickens have more square footage than we do!
FARMER-CONNIE-CROSS-ROAD-V1.gif

Welcome to BYC! I also live in Virginia, near Gretna. Good luck with your venture. I have found that it is a whole lot harder to get to harvest than i anticipated due to various animals and bugs eating everything.
We have chickens, turkeys, guineas and quail. Plus 2 cats, 2 dogs and rabbits.
You might want to look into the facebook group, Pet Chickens of Virginia to find out where swaps are being held. Good luck on your homestead.

LOL at the chickens having more room! Right now I have an injured chicken living in my bathroom. I can't wait until she can go outside. The wound is almost closed and new feathers are growing in. I thought I would lose her but then found a thread here about wounds like hers.

This is a good place to be. :)

Back
Top Bottom