Hello from southwestern Pennsylvania

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by DarkMelody, Aug 25, 2011.

1. DarkMelody

DarkMelody Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2009
    Somerset, PA
    Hi! I'm Melody from southwestern PA. Over the years, my family has raised many animals, including chickens. But until recently I had not introduced my daughter, Star, to raising chickens. She is allergic to all critters, except chickens and parakeets.

Our first year, we raised 3 Barred Rock hens. But sadly, our free-range flock fell victim to a hawk, a coyote and a gang of punks riding ATV's. Noel was with us a year and became a beloved pet to Star. Star carried her like a baby, rocked with her on a swing and pulled her in a wagon. In return for the love of a special little girl, Noel came when called and laid her egg every morning on the glider beside the kitchen door.

[​IMG]

This spring we got 6 more chicks, a large 10'x10'x6' chain-link dog kennel with chicken wire roof and a Ware Chick-N-Hutch. Our 6 pullets from Tractor Supply were 4 Golden Comets and 2 Speckled Sussex. Then we added 2 adult hens that I think are a Barred Rock and what appears to be a very aggressive Golden Laced Wyandotte, except for her bent over single comb. Two of the pullets turned out to be roosters, which were my first and second times at chicken butchering.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    [​IMG] from Kansas, DarkMelody! [​IMG] Great pic of your daughter & chicken! Loved the "gang of ATV riding punks." [​IMG] Best of luck to you and your birds![​IMG]

3. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!

4. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]

5. Unclebean

Unclebean Rest in Peace 1977-2013

Jun 10, 2010
    Tower City, PA
    Welcome to BYC from Schuylkill County, PA!

6. Amigo

Amigo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Your house!
    Noel is so sweet! She reminds me of our hen Symphony.

By the Way, this is hay bail, one of our favs:
    [​IMG]

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

8. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    Welcome from Washington State!

9. Piper1998

Piper1998 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2011
    Nice to "meet" you, Melody! The run you mentioned sounds just like the one we bought. Unfortunately, it blew over in a wind storm and when I called the company for new parts they were awesome. They sent out all new metal parts at no charge. I'm new to this stuff, too, and loving it.

10. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG]

Imp

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by