Hello from Sudbury! (Northern Ontario)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by NorthernOntario, Jan 19, 2010.

1. NorthernOntario

NorthernOntario Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2010
    Sudbury
    Hi all,

So I finally quit lurking and joined the ranks of my fellow BYC'ers. My wife and I live on an acre out in the country, and we're very excited at the thought of getting some chickens in the back yard. This is our first winter in the house, so next spring will be our first attempt at getting the veggie gardens going, setting up a chicken coop, and various other projects.

I'm also a relatively new beekeeper; started last spring. I went into the winter with 6 hives, although one was fairly weak... so we'll see how things pan out in the spring. Of course, this means I have tons of honey around, so I may experiment with giving the chickens honey (once they're mature) to supplement their diet.

And of course, the DIY'er in my is excited... building a coop, building a run, tinkering with automatic run-door setups. My biggest concern is building the coop too small, and wanting more space for more chickens! The second-biggest concern is building the coop to be well insulated, since it gets COLD here in the winter. We've had a couple -30C days and nights already this year, although we're in a bit of a warm spell right now, sitting right around the freezing mark, which means more moisture in the air. Last winter was a cold one, with weeks of temps in the -25C to -40C (before wind-chill). So that coop will be well insulated!

We're planning on layers this year, and maybe some meat birds next year. We'd also like to get a couple milk-goats, and a muscovy duck or two (to help with the mosquito's and blackflies).

Bring on the chicks!

2. mullers3acers

mullers3acers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2007
    la porte, In
    [​IMG]

3. Cornychick

Cornychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Sebastian County, AR
    [​IMG]

4. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas size [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. australorp_breeder

australorp_breeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    California
    Welcome to BackYardChickens from California! If you ever have any questions about chickens feel free to PM me!

6. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    [​IMG] from Missouri [​IMG]

7. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Welcome from southern Ontario, formerly from alot more north than you! (near timmins.) Definitely plan your coop to bigger than you think you need!! (as you probably have figured out, chickens are addicting.) [​IMG]

8. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG] and [​IMG] from S. Florida! Glad you joined us!

1 person likes this.
  9. Apprentice_egger

Apprentice_egger Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2009
    Morrisville, Vermont
    [​IMG]

10. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    [​IMG] from UT! Glad you joined us! I'd love to go into beekeeping one day, sounds like fun! And fresh honey, YUM!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by