Hello from sunny Florida

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by drewph, Dec 27, 2011.

1. drewph

drewph New Egg

Dec 27, 2011
    Hi everyone my name is Drew and I'm from the FL panhandle. My wife has recently decided that she wants chickens and, being the man that will be in charge of building her a coop, I have decided to do a little research. That led me here, and I must say this is a great website! I'm actually quite surprised at how many people are avid chicken owners, though maybe I shouldn't be. Anyhow, I figure there is no one better to ask for startup advice than those with experience, and it seems that this is the place to find it. While there are probably answers to all of my questions to be found elsewhere on the site, it can't hurt to ask right? I'll start with the scenario: We live on a city lot in North Florida. Our city codes do not address ownership of chickens so it is neither legal, nor illegal. It's sort of a "don't tick off the neighbors and all is well" situation. My wife would like chickens for eggs (and companionship) only, not to slaughter. We have a 7 year old daughter and a 25 lb. pug. Our dog LOVES all other animals so there is no chance that he would try and harm any chickens. So what I need is advice on breeds of chickens and styles of coops. To keep the neighbors happy, we need chickens that are as quiet as possible. Also, I need to be able to keep them without a lot of foul odor drifting into neighboring lots. I guess what I need are quiet, egg laying, dog friendly (as in they won't try and hurt my dog) chickens and advice on how to pen them. There are raccoons, possums, and the occasional hawk around, but no coyotes or bobcats where I live. Also, we are avid vegetable gardeners and have a garden in the back yard where the chickens would be. Is this something chickens may damage? Thanks in advance for any advice on getting started, and I look forward to sharing our experience with you!

2. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Welcome to the forum! You'll be so thankful you found us here. [​IMG] (And we are too!) Use the search tools, ask any questions you need. With over a million members, you'll get lots of info and helpful tips.

Yes, chickens will damage your garden. They LOVE tomatoes especially and will eat squash, etc. I'd suggest putting a fence around your garden to keep them out. It doesn't have to be tall -- we used a 2 foot fence and it worked great.

Good luck! [​IMG]

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

4. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Howdy from Austin, Texas.

5. Linn Bee

Linn Bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Howdy, Drew. Welcome to BYC - the best place for info on everything fowl.

There are times I wish my world was warm and sunny. Neither today although we are having a run of above normal temperatures.

I let my chickens free-range over part of my 30 acres. The garden will need to be fenced this spring to keep the chickens OUT. They really seemed to like just about everything I tried to grow.

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

now you will have to recruit your wife in too [​IMG]

7. FlaRocky

FlaRocky Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello, [​IMG]

From Clermont,Florida.

Check out the Florida thread on here,lots of local help. Look at the swaps and show in Florida. January 7, poultry show in Lake City. Ask on the Fla. thread about breeders and what would work for you. What city are you in?

Maye

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  8. strawboss

strawboss New Egg

Nov 16, 2010
    Hey Drew, welcome to the neighborhood. Iam also in NW Fl. Sounds like you need a chicken tractor, a wire pen you can move around your yard when you have your garden planted and in production. You can free range then in fall/winter during the day. Shut them up at night though. White/light seem to be the first of my free range hens to get taken by critters. Silkies hens are the quietest in my opinion and so very personable and kid friendly. Primarily it is the roos who make the noise neighbors object to. Any hen is quieter than roosters!

9. S&N Livestock

S&N Livestock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    southern ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio

10. FlaRocky

FlaRocky Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Hello, and welcome to you too.

Maye

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by