1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello from Tauranga, New Zealand

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kiwichiks, Dec 21, 2015.

1. kiwichiks

kiwichiks Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2015
    New Zealand
    Hello from New Zealand (home of Lord of the Rings!). I live with my husband and teenage son and daughter in Tauranga - a beautiful coastal city on the eastern side of the North Island. My 14 year old daughter and I share a passion for birds and every spring we hand-rear one or two lots of orphans that come to us through our local bird rescue organisation.

My daughter has been DESPERATE to raise ducklings for a very long time and as we haven't been fortunate enough to have any orphans come our way, I recently purchased 4 fertile Magpie duck eggs for her. Tears of joy ensued, and after much 'Googling' and researching, we built a home incubator and started incubating. At Day 13, we confirmed two very active embryos (and 2 yolkers) by candling the eggs and then transferred the developing eggs to my mother's hen, which fortuitously, had meantime become fervently clucky! Our ducklings are due on the 27th of December - a late Christmas present - so fingers crossed all goes well!!

I have a question about one of the eggs - a 'special needs' egg - that I will ask elsewhere on the forum.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC, and good luck with the incubation. Good to see the use of the term 'clucky'. It's how a setting hen was always referenced when I was a kid. [​IMG]

3. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and a warm welcome to BYC - I hope that all goes well with your hatch.

All the best
    Ct

4. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    [​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. If you see Aragon , please tell him I said Hello!

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC & Merry Christmas! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by