1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello from Texas!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by cjnason74, Oct 3, 2015.

1. cjnason74

cjnason74 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2015
    Springtown, TX
    My Coop
    Hi everyone! I'm actually brand new to chickens, so forgive me. :) We recently purchased a house which came with a coop already on it, and I tossed around the idea back and forth about getting chickens, and then finally after a month in the house decided that I'd rather get rid of the coop because I was scared due to knowing zero about them. I tried to offer the coop to several people, for free, and everyone kept saying "You should just get chickens, they're cute/easy/fun/free eggs, etc". Then finally I just gave up, and went for it. We purchased four pullets, five small who-knows-what bantam cochins, and three guineas to protect them from snakes. And now I'm up to my eyeballs in chicken forums, chicken books, chicken pictures! UGH! Not one person warned me that they were so darn addicting! LOL

I've already had my babies three weeks, so I've been drawing up designs for a new, better coop to house them in. My current one is elevated, which is fine, but I want to be able to go into it and clean it without duck-walking the entire time. And I want them to have more room in it. The run they left is about 20x40, which is plenty if it was fully covered, but it isn't, so we had to do a quick job of enclosing a small portion of it for their safety. I've had fun watching them grow daily, searching online to figure out what each of them are, and also worrying myself crazy over the whole "who's a rooster" thing. I got ten chicks because everyone said that we'd lose some and have to give the roosters away, but so for we haven't lost any. And now I really hope I don't, I love them all! LOL Still hoping for only one or two roosters, though. Now to go figure out the best hen-to-rooster ratio...... :)

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Glad you have joined us. And Welcome to Chicken Addiction .[​IMG]

I have only hens, but those with experience recommend 8-10 girl to boy ratio.

Keeping my fingers crossed that you luck out with only gals [​IMG]

3. cjnason74

Sep 30, 2015
    Springtown, TX
    My Coop
    Thanks! I'm currently 99% convinced that at least two of mine are roosters, but since I'm clueless as to what type of cochins they are, their wattles darker combs forming may be normal for them. It's fun trying to guess, though!

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. My wife and I were both raised in NE Texas (Blue Ridge for her, Greenville for me). :eek:) The recommended ratio of roosters to hens is typically 1 rooster for every 10 hens. As they mature and their hormones kick in, too many roosters will become very hard physically on your hens; over-breeding them, biting and plucking the feathers from their necks and backs, battering them, and potentially, seriously injuring them. The only reason you really need a rooster is to fertilize eggs for hatching and 1 rooster can easily handle 10-15 hens in that regard. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

5. cjnason74

Sep 30, 2015
    Springtown, TX
    My Coop
    That brings to mind a question, actually. If I were to separate the roosters to their own separate coop and run, would they fight? I hate the thought of having to get rid of my chicks, but if fights would be the result they'd have to go. :(

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    If your roosters were raised together, it could go either way. Sometimes they will get along and sometimes they will fight. You will just have to try it and see.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Roosters also do better in bachelor coops where they cannot see hens - so there isn't a jealousy issue. Unless you plan to hatch fertile eggs or sell them, there really is no need to have roosters at all. The hens will have less stress, and no damage to feather and skin ,and will continue to lay just as many eggs.

8. AnimalsRmyLife

AnimalsRmyLife Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2013
    Idaho
    [​IMG]

Hope you continue to have a wonderful time here! We're glad to have you join us!

9. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Chicken addiction takes a lot of people by surprise so welcome to the club! I'm glad you are enjoying them.

If you have questions, always feel free to ask. Good luck building a new coop (I'm with you 100% on being able to stand up in one, makes life easier). You can get a lot of help with coop questions, on this forum:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/9/coop-run-design-construction-maintenance

Thanks for joining us!

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by