Hello from Texas

Greenjeans1962

In the Brooder
Feb 18, 2018
Hi, I'm Kyle. I live with my wife Rebecca in New Waverly, Texas.(just south of Huntsville and about 50 miles north of Houston)
I got my first chicks about 3 years ago. Started out with 6 and then chicken math kicked in and I got more. The number got up to 32. We had so many eggs we couldn't give them away.

Now I have NO chickens. Lost them all to dogs, hawks, owls and the like.
I'm about to start over again. This time its hens only.
Now we have 2 cats, 3 dogs and 2 goats.( The goats are now in my chicken coop). I am going to stray over with a 4×8 coop and a 8×20 covered run and 6 hens. Its time to decide what breed I'm going to get.

Thank you for letting join in.

Kyle

Welcome to Backyardchickens.com aka BYC! :frow
:yesss:We are glad you joined our flock.
Jump right in and make yourself at home.
Australorps do well in our heat.
Ideal Poultry is very close to us, you should check out their website.

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

CURRENT COOP CONTEST click here >>#1

The 9th Annual BYC Easter Hatchalong!

Hi, I'm Kyle. I live with my wife Rebecca in New Waverly, Texas.(just south of Huntsville and about 50 miles north of Houston)
I got my first chicks about 3 years ago. Started out with 6 and then chicken math kicked in and I got more. The number got up to 32. We had so many eggs we couldn't give them away.

Now I have NO chickens. Lost them all to dogs, hawks, owls and the like.
I'm about to start over again. This time its hens only.
Now we have 2 cats, 3 dogs and 2 goats.( The goats are now in my chicken coop). I am going to stray over with a 4×8 coop and a 8×20 covered run and 6 hens. Its time to decide what breed I'm going to get.

Thank you for letting join in.

Kyle
:welcome Everything’s bigger in Texas. Glad you’re here!

Greetings and welcome to BYC Kyle! So glad you joined us. Sorry you lost your previous flock. Living in the "wilds" does present some predator problems. Historically, the #1 killer of small livestock is dogs... strays, the neighbor's or yours. Hope the new coop and run setup is secure so no further losses. There's a wealth of info, knowledge and experience shared in the multitude of threads. Browse around and see what interesting stuff you can find. By all means post away when the desire strikes you, especially if you have questions (provide as much detail/info as possible and pictures truly help)... With all the great folks here, generally someone will respond in no time at all. Please make yourself at home!

Oh, if you haven't done so already, PLEASE put at least your general location in your profile. It could be very important if/when you ask for or offer help or advice. You know, climate issues and such. Old folks like me :old will never remember from this thread. To add it, mouse hover over Account top right and a drop down will appear. Click on Personal Details and scan down. You'll see the spot for Location. Then go to the bottom and save changes. Thanks! Hope you enjoy the site!

If you need some coyotes you surely can have some of the ones terrorizing my chickens.

Putting down a 4 foot wire apron around my coop. A little bit of overkill i suppose but this wire mesh fencing was on someones curb with trash so the price was right. Im not cutting this roll to a narrower section. Enough work pinning and burying it. You cant build the coop defenses too much so good luck on round 2. My round 2 was worth it, i accidently got hooked by these grasshopper assassins and enjoy having them around.

Back
Top Bottom