Hello from Texas

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by happymom25, Jun 24, 2011.

1. happymom25

happymom25 New Egg

Jun 24, 2011
    Hi,
    My name is Eileen and I'm new here:D I don't have any chickens yet but I plan on getting some. I'm still in the learning phase but plan on taking the plunge pretty soon!
    I'm looking into buying vs. building a coop etc. There are some nice coops listed on craig's list but the ones I like are a little pricey and then I think about building...
    Any suggestions on where to start? We live on 5 acres and don't have to worry about restrictions/neighbors so that's a blessing!

Thanks

2. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. Check out the coop section here. You might find something there you could build. [​IMG]

3. starryhen

starryhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Howdy neighbor, we are in Central Texas near Austin. The biggest mistake I see new chicken owners make is not putting fencing on the bottom of the coop. Varmints will tunnel right under a fence. Also be careful of chicken wire in coops. A raccoon can reach through the openings, pull out a piece of sleeping hen and chew on it. A snake can get through it, too. We use hardware cloth all around.

4. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

6. benjoycei

benjoycei Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Wilmington
    Hi from NC [​IMG]

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama.

8. RGBistro

RGBistro Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    Orange County, CA
    Welcome from Southern California! [​IMG]

I'm new, too. [​IMG]

If you're even semi-handy, I recommend building your own. They can be pretty straightforward, and you'll get a lot of satisfaction out of building something yourself.

After hours and hours and hours of research, (and buying blueprints online), we ended up surveying our yard to figure out what would work best. So, my suggestion is - do that first, and maybe a good direction (like what you might want your coop to look like) will surface. Have you checked out the chicken coop page on this site yet?! Uber helpful. [​IMG]

- Kim

9. Chickencoop1996

Chickencoop1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    southern nh
    [​IMG]

10. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Hi Eileen! [​IMG] from S. Florida! Its great to have you here with us! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by