Hello from Texas

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by TexasJ, Dec 8, 2012.

1. TexasJ

TexasJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2012
    Texas
    Hey everyone just found this site.still finding myway around
    I'm building a coop in the morning out of FREE pallets I've been
    gathering and breaking down my coop size and nesting area will be 4'x6'and 4' high
    two foot off the ground any suggestions on nesting box sizes would be appreciated
    yes this is my first coop I plan on having 4-6 hens about 3-5 months old for eggs only
    I like chicken but not mine lol so I won't be eating them any advice on breeds would be great also. Ill post pix of build as soon as I'm done and figure out how haha
    Thanx TexasJ

2. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

[​IMG] Great, your building a coop! I would take a look at some of the coops at the coop pages, there are a lot of really good ideas there. Good breeds for eggs in a back yard coop are Rhode Island Reds, Australorps, any type of sex link breed, Orpingtons, Ameraucanas, Barred Rocks, Leghorns...and the list goes on and on. Good luck and have fun building your coop!

3. coreshot

coreshot Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2012
    West Jordan, Utah
    Be sure to post up pics of your progress. I like coops built out of recycled products like you are doing. Good luck

4. TexasJ

Dec 8, 2012
    Texas
    @chickeneer thanks for the breed info I've got them wrote down now it's about looks lol

5. TexasJ

Dec 8, 2012
    Texas
    @coreshot ill post sum pics when I get coop complete I will be spending a little cash I some things but I want to do it as Free as possible well I've got to go get started tty all soon

6. TexasJ

Dec 8, 2012
    Texas
    [​IMG]
    Not sure if the pic is going to go through but these are some of my materials I started with

7. clappchickens

clappchickens New Egg

Dec 9, 2012
    Leghorns are the best producers of egg and so are Australorps. If you like small chickens think about bantams they are fun to have. The Ameraucanas are green egg layers, so they are cool as well.

8. TexasJ

Dec 8, 2012
    Texas
    Here's a few pics of where I left of today[​IMG]

Pallet lumber is 95% oak that I used
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately I'm gonna need more pallets lol

[​IMG]

9. TexasJ

Dec 8, 2012
    Texas
    @ clappchickens
    Green egg layer like the color of the egg shells?

10. clappchickens

clappchickens New Egg

Dec 9, 2012
    Yes, sorry should have been more specific. They are also very winter hardy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by