Hello From Texas

Roddonna

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 4, 2013
Good day Y'all.

My wife and I got in to Chickens ( we have Buffs ) for fun and have realized what cool animals they really are. We got ours at about 3 weeks in February and have watched them grow in some great looking birds.
On the down side we ended up with 4 roosters and one hen. Is this going to be a problem?
We ended up giving one rooster to our neighbor so now we have a 3- 1 ratio.
I have been checking the hen house for the last few days now because she is old enough to lay and I found 2 this morning.
my daughters are so Excited about it.

Well hope to get some great tips from ya and have some cool stuff to share also.

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
3 roosters with only one hen is going to cause problems for you, I'm afraid. They are going to start fighting over her (if they are not already) and they are going to over-mate her and possibly injure her in the process. Ideally you should have a ratio of 4 or more hens to one rooster and not keep more than one rooster with the hens unless you have about 15-20 hens (preferably more) and enough space to keep them out of each other's feathers.

welcome-byc.gif
If you don't want fertile eggs for hatching, you don't need a rooster at Do get more hens tho, chickens are flock animals and happiest with some buddies.

I have Buffs. Lovely chickens. Pure blood, Roosters sell well. I would suggest, keep the hen and the best looking rooster and advertise the other two. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom