Hello from Texas

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by txduo75060, Mar 7, 2015.

1. txduo75060

txduo75060 New Egg

Mar 7, 2015
    Ran across BYC while doing some searches on raising chicks.

I have almost everything set up for the chicks and should be purchasing a few within the next few days. (Even though local feed store wont be carrying chickens this year)

I look forward to being able to use info from the groop as well as having the chickens around the garden.

I will be posting as things progress.

Until then . . . Hello from Texas

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to the flock. Do you know what breeds you will be getting?

3. txduo75060

txduo75060 New Egg

Mar 7, 2015
    Not just yet I don't. That is only one of many reasons I wanted to join the forum. I will be reading thru trying to figure out which will be easiest heartiest and best egg producers.
    :)

4. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG]Welocme to BYC!!! It is an aweosme forum (the BEST in the world) and has a great comminity!!! Hope you have a great time and learn A LOT!

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join to our flock. Which part of Texas are you from? My wife and I were both raised in the great state of Texas. If egg production is a priority, I would recommend Black Sex Links, which are hardy and friendly, egg laying machines. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds and hybrids), and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Whatever breed or hybrid you end up getting, good luck with your flock.

6. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I would recommend buff orpingtons, black australorps, wyandottes, barred rocks and sex links. They are all great layers, cold hardy and friendly. (Wyadnottes and sex links can be more skittish and aggressive though)

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

8. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Wishing you the very best of luck with your new chicken adventure I'm sure you will enjoy it very much. Raising chicks is a fantastic and very rewarding experience. The learning centre has some great articles on raising them, here is the link https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-and-raising-chicks

Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined us.

I would recommend the Wyandotte breed. Mine have been very sweet, docile, and inquisitive (are the most personable and friendly of my birds), very good layers, and extremely cold hardy. They've done fine in heat as well.

10. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by