Hello from the ark la tex

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by smurphyman, Sep 29, 2016.

1. smurphyman

smurphyman New Egg

Sep 29, 2016
    East Texas
    New member here, saying howdy... Looking forward to reading good discussions here about my new chickens
    Go Deplorable's Go!!

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, smurphyman, and :welcome. Happy you joined our community! Tell us about your flock. :)

4. smurphyman

smurphyman New Egg

Sep 29, 2016
    East Texas
    Hey y'all ... My flock consist of 10 Wyendottes and 3 blue Dominiques they just started laying eggs , I'm getting 4 eggs a day now... But not real happy with the taste of eggs yet... Not sure why?
    I own a few horses and raise blue berries and grapes on 21 acres in Cass County Texas

5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    What about the taste is it you are noticing? A lot of folks find the taste somewhat offputting if they are accustomed to the flavor (or lack thereof) of commercially produced eggs from the grocery store - similar to how the taste of home-grown chicken can seem bad to someone used to commercially produced chicken meat. It can also be dietary - certain things being eaten in excess can cause a flavor to pass into the eggs produced by the hen...fish, for example, is a great source or protein and one that many folks like to offer their flock, but some report a fishy taste in eggs that are coming from birds who have been fed excessive amounts of fish. I have fed fish to my flocks and never had this experience, but tend to feed things in moderation so that may be why.

6. smurphyman

smurphyman New Egg

Sep 29, 2016
    East Texas
    Yes I totally agree with everything you said .... I'm just in the beginning of sorting out what's taking place and with all my other projects will continue to focus on it
    I like the idea of organic non GMO everything, and will probably start to mix my own blend soon , right now it's tractor supply organic ... Over priced feed mixed with Texas natural feed blend organic feed
    They love strawberry tops & blueberrys I'm sure it will work out in the end ... Thanks for the comment and info , I enjoy reading comments from folks to lead me to where I need to go
    Stay frosty y'all

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

9. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hi there, welcome to Backyard chickens!! What color Wyandottes do you have? I have the Golden and Silver. I hope you enjoy BYC!

10. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by