Hello from the Caribbean.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by islandmomellen, Mar 29, 2017.

1. islandmomellen

islandmomellen New Egg

Mar 29, 2017
    Dominica
    I live in Dominica in the West Indies and came across this site because I have questions about my babies. I have almost 4 week old layers that I got imported from Barbados at 1 day old. My question... the chicks are all feathered except for their heads and nighttime temps are in the mid 70's... can they (24 of them) go into the coop now? We have NO predators on the island so I'm not worried about that, just temperatures.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, islandmomellen, and [​IMG]! Please you joined us! Obviously I'm not too acquainted with your climate but I would certainly assume that at 4 weeks and temps in the 70's that they would be fine. Is the coop reasonably draft free and dry?
    Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!

3. islandmomellen

islandmomellen New Egg

Mar 29, 2017
    Dominica
    They have a huge dog crate that we brought our Great Dane to the island in that only has vents on the top and through that they have access to a covered 10' x 8' dog run. I was going to keep them in it for a week or two before allowing them to roam our garden and jungle.

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    That ought to work! So, no predators? None? Snakes? Anything? I envy you! Seems like there are about ten different things where I live that want a chicken dinner!

5. islandmomellen

islandmomellen New Egg

Mar 29, 2017
    Dominica
    There are in theory boas but I have never seen one near the sea, only in the mountains,and we live about 25 yards from the sea. My dogs will eat them but there is a 8' fence separating them....hopefully that is enough.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to the Backyard chickens flock. You must live in paradise. I think your chicks will be very happy. Are you sure there aren't any sea monsters [​IMG]

7. islandmomellen

islandmomellen New Egg

Mar 29, 2017
    Dominica
    Sea monsters gets me thinking....we do have a flock of 10-15 pelicans that hang out in our front yard occasionally. I have seen them carry out of the sea some large fish, I wonder if they'll eat chickens. Eeek!

8. N F C

N F C Happy T-Day! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

It would be fun to see a couple of photos of your birds and their environment...it sounds beautiful!

9. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under islandmomellen [​IMG] Welcome!

I have heard stories of Pelicans taking small dogs so I would not put it passed them to take a young chicken [​IMG]

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by