Hello from the [currently soggy] South

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ThistleRidgeGA, Feb 25, 2013.

1. ThistleRidgeGA

ThistleRidgeGA Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2013
    Canton, Georgia U.S.A.
    Hello from the [currently soggy!] South,

I know quite a few members of BYC, and I thought I would join. We have a long-term lease on a 12-acre tract of land north of Atlanta, Georgia. We moved here in July 2011, but it wasn't until June 2012 that we officially took over 100% of the farm (prior to that, there were other residents on the farm whose responsibility was ensuring the farm stayed organized, taken care of, etc.) Needless to say, almost a year later, and we are still banging out repair projects and trying to get our farm up to par, so to speak.

We tackled a jungle of overgrown weeds and grass (and Copperheads!) the past several months, and our progress and before and after pictures are found on both our blog at http://farmlivingisthelifeforme.wordpress.com and our Photobucket account (there are abums on the right sidebar for our various areas) at http://photobucket.com/farmliving

We created a Facebook page for family and friends to keep up to date with our progress, plans, goals, and tips as well at http://www.facebook.com/thistleridgefarm

My husband and I both come from country backgrounds, and my childhood was spent around apple orchards, fruit, and vegetable gardens and dairy farms. From 2001-2003, I worked on a 100-head Red Limousin beef cattle farm that was also home to chickens, peafowl, turkeys, Emus, horses, and llamas. Needless to say...I'm a Jill of all trades :)

At the moment, my husband and I have two horses, two dogs, a NZW buck (named Monty Python) and will be completing our predator-proof coop in our barn although we will be practicing safe-monitored free-range of hens and ducks. Breeds of hens: RIR, Buff Orpington, and Barred Rock. Breed of ducks: Cayuga. Eventually we will be adding two beef steer and Boer goats as well (3-4 at a time.)

We practice proper pasture rotation, soil-testing, lime, and fertilizing our pastures, Diatomaceous Earth for pest control, composting, vegetable and fruit gardens, "tire" gardens, and native gardening as far as our landscaping is concerned. We are always open to help others and chit chat about farming whether it be a handful of hens in your suburban backyard or hundreds of acres in the country.

Best regards,
    The Registers (primarily Shelby here)

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, ThistleRidgeGA, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! Sounds like you have a happening operation there! Best of luck to you and your critters! I'll check out your blog! [​IMG]

3. thasista

thasista Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    KY
    My Coop
    Hi from Kentucky![​IMG]

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

6. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us. Very nice blog and Facebook page! [​IMG]

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Good luck with that farm, and welcome to BYC.

8. ShadyHillFarm

ShadyHillFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2013
    NW Georgia
    Hi there and welcome from another Georgia girl!!

9. Janiecoke

Janiecoke Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2012
    Glen Mississippi
    Welcome from North East Mississippi

10. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by