Hello from the Galveston Bay area!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by webgranny77, Nov 21, 2012.

1. webgranny77

webgranny77 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2012
    Hello everyone! Thank you for such a fun & inviting forum! Hubby & I are gearing up for some new chickens this spring. We are in the planning stages of our coop/run. Any ideas or advice for a first-timer? We're looking to raise a couple of hens for the eggs and a couple more for meat. Any advice would be appreciated!

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

The Learning Center is a great source of information

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] The Learning Center is a great start, as 1muttsfan suggested. My advice would be to build a nice big, predator proof coop and run. I know it's not something you want to think about, but they are always a possibility and it's better to be prepared. Leave some extra space in your coop for the inevitable chicken math... Chickens are addictive and you'll want more, believe me! I started with 4 and ended up with over 100!
    Also have a read through the "sticky threads" (in blue on top of each section) for more in-depth information on the different aspects of chicken keeping. I found some great info there. The advanced search bar on top is also great for finding answers to questions. And we're here to help and offer advice if there's anything you don't understand.

Most importantly: enjoy every moment with your new feathered friends!

4. webgranny77

webgranny77 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2012
    Thanks yall! I've been researching coops and the such, really getting excited about this new endeavour in our lives. I have enough supplies to go ahead a build a small coop and get started. I will check out the suggested link! More later!

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, webgranny77, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined our community! Best of luck to you and your spring chickens!!

6. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by