Hello from the good ol’ “Show ME” state.... where yesterday, my good chicken-friend showed me LICE o

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sevenpines, Jun 20, 2017.

1. sevenpines

sevenpines In the Brooder

Oct 12, 2016
    Garden City MO
    Hello from the good ol’ “Show ME” state.... where yesterday, my good chicken-friend showed me LICE on my chickens!!! One was stepping very carefully, and then losing balance. Upon inspection, I see crawlies on her.... whitish to tannish transparent creatures and what my friend said are egg sacs near the vent. I’ve already scoured this site (have been a member (and a chicken owner) quite a while actually, but always forget to sign in) .... Anyway, nice to meet you all and read all the helpful posts~ I thank you for your experience and for sharing. Tracy Jones

2. Debs Flock

Debs Flock Crossing the Road

Apr 28, 2015
    Jefferson County, MO
    :frow Hi there! I'm also from MO. Welcome to BYC! Hope the lice isn't too difficult to get rid of.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Bird is the word

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

Oh no....buggies!! Lice are more common than you can imagine. And they are the worst in wet weather, although can show up even in drier times. Wild birds are big time carriers of lice, so it's not always in how you keep your coop. Some Lice are the biting kind and will suck the chickens blood and other kind are the chewing kind. I get the chewing kind a LOT around here. They chew the feathers right off the bird and eat the dead skin cells.

The best thing for treating this is lots of dust bathing by the chicken itself. The dust and dirt smothers the lice. You can also add DE to the dust bathing area as this stuff will cut the exoskeletal system of the bugs. Poultry sprays like Poultry Protector are all natural oils that will smother the bugs as well, Permethryn sprays are very helpful as well. Make sure to get all sprays and powders on the skin and at the base of the feathers as best as possible. You will need to displace the feathers to do this by blowing or gently pulling them back. Spray or powder your roost bar well as bugs love to lay their eggs under the roost bar and come out at night to feast on the birds. Get the bedding out of the nest boxes and powder or spray them as well.

Good luck with your flock, their bugs and welcome to our roost! :)

4. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!
    I hope you get rid of those bugs sooner, rather then later.

drumstick diva likes this.
  5. Flufferes

Flufferes Poke

Apr 30, 2017
    Caught in a Crossfire
    Nice to meet you, sevenpines! i hope you can get rid of those vermin, TwoCrows has given you some excellent advice!

6. Fire Ant Farm

Fire Ant Farm Get off my lawn

May 5, 2015
    South Texas
    @sevenpines - Welcome! Pretty much almost everything I know about chickens and chickens keeping I got from BYC. You did good finding us. No lice so far for me, but I suspect it's only a matter of time. There's a great thread on liquid permethrin spray that is very helpful on this topic. Recommend you read it from the beginning.

Permethrin spray

Most of all... WELCOME!!!! :welcome

sevenpines likes this.
  7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    :welcome

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: