Hello from the heart of Texas!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Dragynn, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Dragynn

Dragynn Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2010
    Hi all, i'm Dragynn, my lady and I live out on a small place in the country that the critters think is heaven, and we are inclined to agree! We are new to rasing chickens though I had a considerable amount of experience when I was much younger from working on my grandfathers farm.

We started in the spring this year with 3 little baby barred-rocks we got at the local feed store. We've had our ups and downs, and sadly lost one of the girls early on to a maurading raccoon. But overall the experience has been wonderful, and the girls have been a joy to have around, one of them actually laid her first egg while sitting in my lap on the porch. The two barred rocks are about 7 months old now, and lay every day. They free-range happily on the property and were an astounding amount of help with the bugs in the garden this year...they helped themselves to a few cherry tomatoes in the process, I figure that was more than fair for the service provided [​IMG] . They are named Jezebel and Ruby-Louise (Mama names all the critters) [​IMG]

We have recently added a couple of babies from our neighbor who has a larger flock, a barred-rock/polish mix, and a little buff cochin, and they are just almost stupidly cute!

Thanks for a great website, we have lurked a bit and consulted it several times as we learned more about raising our little buddies!

Dragynn

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG]

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

4. Kanga77510

Kanga77510 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Santa Fe, TX
    Welcome! I'm in Texas too, a little south of Houston.

5. wekiva bird

wekiva bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    South Carolina
    [​IMG] [​IMG] from south carolina/fla. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Kacey's Krazee's

Kacey's Krazee's Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Normangee, Texas
    Howdy There !!

Welcome to BYC !! We too are in Texas, between Dallas and Houston. I do a bunch of lurking and not much talking, but man o man, am I ever getting educated !!

Enjoy !

Kacey

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. jerrys59

jerrys59 Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2009
    Deatsville,Al
    Hello from Alabama.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by