Hello from The Highlands of Scotland

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by greendykes, Sep 20, 2012.

1. greendykes

greendykes New Egg

Sep 20, 2012
    What a great site! I have just went through my 1st experience with a broody hen, hatching and now proud owner of 3 chicks! I found this site to be of great help throughout the experience. I have kept chickens for 5 years. 1st 4 girls were ISA Browns, named them and was really upset when they past away. 2nd time decided to get 6 ISA Browns but did not name them this time!! Good job, my neighbour got a new dog and within 3 weeks I had lost 3 girls to it. Then 1 got run over. Decided the 2 remaining girls needed some company so got 2 Amberlinks and 2 Hyline in April this year. All settled in well and this time I ensured their free ranging was kept within the garden. It is an acre and a half..so they shouldn't really complain! By chance I was asked if I wanted a Cockerel by a friend and I thought he might keep them under control better. So Rory arrived in June, he has turned into a very handsome chap. Unexpectedly just short of 4 weeks ago one of my Amberlink became broody, so I allowed her to sit on 7 eggs. She quickly chucked 2 out within the 1st week, she turned out to be a great broody and on Sat/Sun she presented me with 3 chicks. She still sat on the other 2 until I moved her/chicks and eggs to new coop on Tues. Then she left them, I removed them and accidentally dropped one..the stink was horrendous! It was just an egg that had gone rotten. So that is a quick summary of my experience of the joys and disappointments of having chickens.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from the States, greendykes, and [​IMG]! So happy you found us! You are right - BYC is a great site to learn!! Best of luck to you!!

3. BrendaJ

BrendaJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    Oregon
    Hello from Oregon & welcome to BYC :) I looked at this site for over a year before i joined lol. Great info

4. sezjasper

sezjasper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2012
    Eldersburg, Maryland
    Hello to you in beautiful Scotland and [​IMG]

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] You live in a beautiful part of the world! Congrats on your new chicks and your momma hen. I love it when my broodies make me a granny. LOL It's so much fun watching them raise the chicks.

7. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  8. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    [​IMG]Hello & welcome to Backyard Chickens! So glad you joined our awesome community!

9. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from California!

10. Extra Java

Extra Java Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    Southern CA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] From California USA!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by