1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello from the Isle of Man!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Hazie, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Hazie

Hazie New Egg

Mar 5, 2013
    Hey guys, I am fairly new to backyard chickens; last year I inherited one typical brown (red) hen from a neighbour who moved but couldn't take her, then 3 months ago got 2 two-month old bantams to keep her company. Sadly my brown hen (named Mrs Chicken) died a few weeks ago so we were left with the 2 bantams! They're a bit wild (Mrs Chicken was VERY friendly) but have just started laying, yay!

I'm from the Isle of Mann, which is between Ireland & the UK, I gather most of you are in America?

Anyway, just saying Hi really! I initially joined because i could have SWORN one of my bantams was male but when they started laying, there were 2 eggs, and I was so convinced, I was gonna ask about the likelihood of one laying 2 eggs per day! But happily I know they're both girls now :)

They free-range during the day, then I have to tempt them by putting corn in their run in order to shut the door behind them so they'll sleep in the coop, otherwise they bugger off to roost high in a tree. They were fine for sleeping in the coop without having to be tricked into it when Mrs Chicken was alive, cos they'd just follow her into bed, but the minute she died they decided they prefer spending the night in a cold exposed tree. Fowl beasts. I wouldn't mind so much now the spring is coming, but with the associated earlier light they wake up earlier & start shouting loudly for their breakfast if they're in the tree, and the new neighbour's bedroom window is only about 10 yards from the tree they've chosen! They are laying in the coop though, choosing to go back in there after a couple of hours wandering so that's good.

I found backyardchickens.com by asking google various questions which lead me here :) I am loving my chickens! And the 2 eggs per day :)

Here they are. Anyone any idea of the breed?
    [​IMG]

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    welcome to the flock[​IMG]

3. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad to have you aboard. You can post your pic in the What Breed/Gender section for more answers. My guess is Cockoo Maran/ Barred Rock. :thumbsup

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Hazie, and[​IMG]! Happy you joined us! I'd say the bird on the right is a Cuckoo Maran. The one on the right might be an Australorp. Good luck to you and your birds!!

7. stake

stake Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2013
    Malvern, pa
    Cheers mate. There's some brits hanging out....poke around and enjoy!

8. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    Welcome to BYC, Hazie. You have a couple of pretty girls there. I'd guess Maran and Barred Rock. What color are the eggs?

9. TravisE

TravisE Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2012
    fayette county wv
    [​IMG]&[​IMG]

10. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by