Hello from the newbies in Indiana.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by strssdmom, Mar 6, 2013.

1. strssdmom

strssdmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Hello from the newbies in Indiana!

My name is Elizabeth, and I guess you can say I am the "ringleader" in this circus. I decided I wanted our family to eat healthier and be more self sufficient when it comes to what they eat. So, I brought up the idea of egg layer chickens. Of course my husband rolled his eyes and thought, "sure another thing she is talking about, but will never follow through with",

Well, I surprised him the other day when I started talking to my sister, Rose, and my nephew, Jon. We were all talking about starting a chicken coop co-op and a gardening co-op. We all put in the effort and supplies and we will all reap the rewards.

So, last Saturday, we went out and bought 17 chicks. Rose got 4 ISA Brown. Jon got 5 Silver Laced Wyandottes (although we are not sure that is what they really are). I got 4 Amber Link. My daughter got 2 Barred Rock. My son got 2 Ameracana.

This coming weekend we are going to talk about coop plans. I am thinking we will start with a 10'x10' coop and a 10'x20' run. And the garden is going to start out at 20'x20' and grow from there.

Well in a nut shell that is our plan.

A bit about us. I am a homeschooling mom of two children. I have been homeschooling for 5 years now. My children are in 6th and 9th grade. My husband, Eric, is an aircraft mechanic. He is very handy, so hopefully he will help us build our coop. My sister is a single mom of two children. She works full time and is looking forward to saving some money and growing her own food. My nephew is a single dad of two children and likes to save money where ever he can.

We are looking forward to reading and learning from all the great information on this site.

Looking forward to getting to know many of you.

2. ellie32526

ellie32526 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2012
    North Texas
    Welcome to BYC! I also homeschooled, but my children are grown now. We were empty nesters, but I decided that was too boring so we now have 7 dogs that we have rescued and 15 baby chicks. You can get lots of ideas about building your coop right here for free. Don't make the same mistake I did. You don't have to pay for a plan.

3. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG]
    from another Elizabeth

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    welcome to the flock[​IMG]

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! Good luck to you and your chicken and gardening ventures!

7. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

8. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad to have you aboard. You've come to the right place. There are lots of great ideas here. :thumbsup

9. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Good luck with your projects, and welcome to BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by