Hello from the Ozarks in mid Missouri

remmuk

Hatching
8 Years
May 19, 2011
roll.png
old.gif
--I am really new at raising chickens and at BYC. I bought 4 hens (so I thought) and then the wife wanted a chick for herself. I read that it is good to have a rooster to protect the hens, so that is what we bought. As it turns out, one of my hens is really starting to look like a rooster also. However, we shall see how this arrangement works out. Even though I have read Raising Chickens for Dummies, I still have lots of questions. I'm looking forward getting experience from the Forum.

welcome to byc! i too am new to this. fyi although the rooster will protect, they also fertilize the eggs. hens will lay eggs without the rooster if your just going for eggs, however, if u want meat as well, roosters are the way to go. good luck and god bless!

Thank you for your warm welcomes. I look forward to communicating with all you great folks and will appreciate any advice that you can give me. Right now I am in the process of moving my chickens to an outdoor coop, which is a unused orchid greenhouse. I'm going to use a dog pen as their run and plan on puttintg chicken wire around the base to keep the small chickens in and the predators out. Should I bury some of the wire in the ground or can I just lay a foot or so of the wire on the ground inside or outside of the pen? I will be putting wire fenncing on the top of the pen to protect the chickens from hawks, etc. The coop has a concrete floor and I wonder which is the best stuff to put on the floor-pine shavings (rather expensive) or wheat straw? Since the chickens are getting older now, which feed is best for after the chick crumbles are all usrd up?

Back
Top Bottom