Hello from the Pacific Northwest

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by olympicchickens, Feb 26, 2016.

1. olympicchickens

olympicchickens New Egg

Feb 25, 2016
    Port Angeles, WA.
    Hi, I live in Port Angeles, WA and am new to BYC and raising chickens. Currently I haven't decided if I should make my coop or buy one. The coop's I've seen for sale around here seem to be of poor quality. I intend to start off with 2 - 3 hens.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. I would recommend starting with 3 or more. That way if something happens to one others remain in the flock for companionship.

3. KeyFlock

KeyFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2015
    Kansas
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined us!! If I were you, I would build my own coop. That way you can make it the size and shape that you want. If you make it big enough, you could add more chickens in the future.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Building a bigger coop and run now, will save you the trouble of making more later. You will become addicted to chickens, and start planning your new additions before you even realize it. I can practically guarantee it.

5. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I'd say to build your own coop and as sourland suggested starting with 3+ chickens. From the reviews I've seen of the pre-built coops they aren't made very well, usually over-state how many chickens can comfortably fit and are expensive.

You can find a lot of ideas for coops of all sizes here:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coops

Thanks for joining us, it's nice to have you here!

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. I agree with the sentiments of other greeters re: size and building your own. I'm a fan of using garden sheds as coops, but if you look at the coop section, you will see so many designs your head will be spinning!

All the best
    CT

8. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

[​IMG]
    There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around the run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by