Hello from the Pacific Northwest!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by PNWchick, Jul 20, 2010.

1. PNWchick

PNWchick New Egg

Jul 20, 2010
    We are first-timers in the world of chicken raising and very new to all of this. Our girls are about six weeks old (although I more than suspect that one of our BR "pullets" is actually male). We put the chickens before the coop so to speak and are now scrambling to get their home built.

They spend their days in their outdoor "playpen" or free-ranging when we are outside with them. At night they are still in the garage.

We have 2 RI, 2 BR, 2 Wyandottes - one silver and one gold, one Speckled Sussex (my favorite, she is so sweet!) and one who is somewhat a mystery breed although we were told she was an Ameraucana.

I am attaching pics of the girls and boy(?) Dolly, Reba, Emmylou, Tammy Wyandotte, Loretta Hen, Kellie Chickler, Shania and Merle (formerly known as Miley).

Thanks for your hospitality - we are excited to be here!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    [​IMG] neighbor!!!! Your babies are adorable! Where abouts in the PNW are you located?
    edited to add: Yes your barred rock that you have in the first photo is a male.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  3. PNWchick

PNWchick New Egg

Jul 20, 2010
    Thank you! We are in Western WA. Thanks for the confirmation re: Merle. We had been set on having all girls - I am a little squeamish about the fertilized egg thing - but now we will have to make a decision on whether to keep him or not. I'm sure if not we can find him a good home. A little tougher than I thought it would be, they are definitely our pets and we have already become quite attached!

4. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Your Welcome! I am in Western WA too in Kelso/Longview area. Glad you joined us here at BYC!

The fertilized eggs are no different than eggs with out the presence of a roo, are you going to be using them for eating? If so, just make sure that you get them into the fridge ASAP and you are good to go. [​IMG]

5. cambriagardener

cambriagardener Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] from California. What a lovely flock. I'd love to have a rooster for our six hens but our community does not allow it. I'd try to keep handsome Merle if I were you and see how it goes! Good luck! [​IMG]

6. PNWchick

PNWchick New Egg

Jul 20, 2010
    Thank you! My husband is from the Monterey Peninsula, we have spent plenty of time on that coast - so beautiful, and we are overdue for a visit! We may end up keeping Merle, my husband is growing quite fond of him and his quirky little personality! I checked out the photos of your coop, by the way, it is charming!

7. PNWchick

PNWchick New Egg

Jul 20, 2010
    Thank you! My husband is from the Monterey Peninsula, we have spent plenty of time on that coast - so beautiful, and we are overdue for a visit! We may end up keeping Merle, my husband is growing quite fond of him and his quirky little personality! I checked out the photos of your coop, by the way, it is charming!

8. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG] from an imp in Renton

Beautiful flock you've got there

Imp

9. MCCmomof3

MCCmomof3 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2010
    WA
  10. pongoid

pongoid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    I might be your neighbor soon in Seattle.
    Anyone care to answer cost of living questions?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by