Hello from the Pacific Northwest!

Petej

Songster
12 Years
Dec 6, 2010
Long Beach, WA.
Hello all,

I am Pete and this is my first time hatching eggs. I found this site using Google and it has been very, very useful so far!

A little Background on how I came into this fun and entertaining predicament:

I recently moved my family onto my Wife's family farm on the Long Beach Peninsula in the state of Washington.

When we moved I inherited two dozen adult chickens of various breeds. I get about a half dozen eggs a day during the winter and a dozen have been produced per day in the past by my Father in Law, the owner of the farm. I have two contracts for eggs at my wife's workplace, so the chickens are partially self supporting. As soon as I get more Chickens, we can produce more and they will become wholly self supporting...

We also have six Quail and a pheasant. The pheasant is a male, so no eggs from him obviously, my Quail however are giving me an egg or two a day. All of which go into the incubator as I have no doubt that they are fertile (3 male, three female).

We have a GQF Hova-Bator and it's matching egg turner.

That being said, I am looking forward to my first successful hatch around Christmas time!

I'll get some pictures up in the appropriate forums of our farm sometime today.

Hello and
welcome-byc.gif
- I too live in the PNW, to be precise, I live in Forks WA.
smile.png

Good luck with your hatching eggs, 'tis always fun addicting.

Thank you!

I have helped with hatches before, which is where most of our chickens came from, but like I said, I'm on my own now.

I wasn't going to do any hatching, but when my wife's co-worker asked about the Quail eggs I gave him a couple days ago, I thought....Why not?

I try to get the eggs as close to the time they were laid as possible, which for the chickens is in the morning after feeding time, but the Quail don't seem to have a pattern. My hope is the cold Quail eggs are still viable.....

Why thank you all!

I've had my first batch of eggs (Both Chicken and Quail) incubating for a few days and it looks like most of the chickens egg are quitter.
sad.png

I can't get the Quail Eggs to candle worth beans, so they're a Wait and See operation....

My Father in Law has grown most of his current flock (now mine) from Eggs from the very first small adult flock he bought a couple years ago....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom