Hello from the pocono Mountains of Pennsylvania!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Daisyjanew, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Daisyjanew

Daisyjanew New Egg

Jul 3, 2014
    My name is Lori, I have just started my journey with hatching eggs. My girls always wanted to do it, and I have always wanted a duck or goose that imprinted on me. Well, I had considered it just a pipe dream, I have never raised poultry before. My girls are now 20 and 26 and have been pestering me, When Mom? When are we going to do this? And so it starts, a friend came to my house with an unexpected present, a cayuga duck egg. I had no equiptment, so I made a makeshift incubator out of a heating pad, an aquarium and a lid and a fish thermometer. He made it till right before the hatch, and then nothing, we were all devistated, my daughter had already named it :( My response was, "This is why I didnt do this when you guys were little!" So I bought an incubator, still air, proper humidity and temperaturre thermometers, and I ordered 6 cayuga eggs from ebay. Eight eggs came, we are on day 23 there are 4 left.They all seem to be doing well, Fully dark with nice air cells. My question is, out of these 4 can expect how many to die? Another question. 7 out of the 8 eggs were medium sized and ranged from grey to green, except one. One egg is very, very small, almost half the size of the others, and round, not oblong. I have no idea about the differences in duck eggs, but could this lady have made the extra 2 eggs another type of duck?? To me it looks like a call duck egg. Will it be ok on the Cayuga lock down schedule? They say lock down calls at 23, cayuga at 25, I was going to do 24. I want to make sure I give them all the best chance. Any ideas?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

So sorry about your first attempt at hatching. I am not familiar with hatching Duck eggs. But shipping can be hard on eggs, so not all of them may hatch this time around. You will do best posting this question in our Ducks section for all those Duck experts to help you...https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

Good luck and I hope you can get this set of eggs to hatch for you! [​IMG]

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X2 on try the Duck forum for help with the hatch, you might also want to check out the Hatching Eggs forum Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with the hatch!

4. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

X3 on the duck section.

Good luck with that hatch![​IMG]

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC, Lori! Glad you decided to join our flock. X3 on the duck section. I'm a chicken person and don't know much about ducks (although I've had a few), but I have to admit that ducklings are the ultimate in cute. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your ducks.

6. Daisyjanew

Daisyjanew New Egg

Jul 3, 2014
    Thank you! I will check out the duck forum. The update is that I see movement in the 4 eggs I have left, so I am praying they all make it. Thank you for the warm welcome!
    [​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sending good hatching vibes your way [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by