1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello from the rainy Northwest!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Islandcb, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Islandcb

Islandcb Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2012
    Bainbridge Island, WA
    Hi everyone! I'm loving this site, it's been so helpful! I am a chicken "newbie" and am muddling through my first 4 chicks with help from friends and classes at the local feed store.
    I have a couple questions and would appreciate any advice I can get. My chicks are 3 weeks old, one Marans, one Ameraucana, one Rhode island Red and one Australorp. I am not sure what the chick in my avatar is... I'm thinking she is an Australorp, but maybe a Marans? Can anybody tell?
    The second question I have is my chicks are set up in the basement in a 2 ft. X 4 ft. brooder box with a secured wire lid. Is this a large enough space to keep them in until I move them to the coop which is under construction? When can I move them out?
    Thanks so much in advance for your help, I am so excited to join this group and raise happy hens. :)

2. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    :welcome

You'll probably be able to get a good response if you post about your chick in the breed and gender section. There are a lot of knowledgable people lurking around there. :p

I kept my chicks in a very small brooder for the first month or so of their lives. It should be okay while you're finishing up your coop. We did let them out regularly for a scratch in the yard though, that helps.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

5. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio...glad you joined

6. Hazelrah

Hazelrah Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2012
    Oregon
    Welcome to BYC. Rainy northwest indeed, it is pouring here today and has been for the past several days. When I first got my chickens I was lucky to find this site and have learned so much from learning how to do a search on this forum and spent hours reading threads. Watch out though, chickens are addictive! I think your brooder box is fine for their first month or so and if it would ever stop raining you could take them for some outside time. I have a little chick and mom in a similar small brooder box and it is starting to look cramped in there, chicks grow fast don't theyZ!

7. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

8. Islandcb

Mar 14, 2012
    Bainbridge Island, WA
    Thanks for the info. I will definitely try to get some expert advice :D

9. Islandcb

Mar 14, 2012
    Bainbridge Island, WA
    It certainly has been WET! I grew up in Corvallis so I'm used to the rain... But this is ridiculous! Thanks for the advice, and you're right... I can tell this is going to be addicting!! :)

10. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Welcome from Louisiana! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by