Hello from the Redwoods of Coastal California

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Minflick, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Minflick

Minflick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Boulder Creek, California
    Hi fellow chicken folk (and other poultry and livestock enthusiasts)

I'm brand new to chickens, and in fact, don't HAVE them yet. I'm still putting together the coop (painting it) and need to make the run. The birds will be arriving in September. I've been a 4H mom, when my children did dairy goats, I've had Toulouse Geese (glorious eggs, but they hated me, so I re-homed them), and now it's time for my own chickens and some home grown eggs. DH is supporting me in my goal, but will not be helping me at all, so it's all me...

I have 1 cat right now, and I'm an RVT working in a small animal general practice. l have a few friends with poultry knowledge whose brains I can pick, but I know I need more feedback than just them, which is why I joined here. I've got some good books by Gail Damerow on chicken care, so I think I'm set as far as that's concerned, but I DO have some predator concerns that I will be posting about. My goal is to avoid as many problems as I can by practicing good husbandry.

I need to repair the side gate so the girls can be out and about with me when I'm gardening in the back yard. They will be in their run 90% of the time, though, due to predator concerns. I've seen raccoons, possum, and skunks at our house. I have not seen (at my house), but I know they're in the area, foxes, bobcats and mountain lions. My main concern is the raccoons, as I know 'ours' to be large, and I know they're smart and persistent and always hungry.

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
  3. lomb chix

lomb chix Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2014
    Boulder Creek, CA
    Congrats on your chicken endeavor! Sounds like you are really doing your research, and knowing is half the battle. I also live in the coastal redwoods in the Santa Cruz Mtns and am an RVT. Small world. Your tech skills will definitely transfer. Don't forget about hawks, as they are a huge threat. I've had one swoop within a foot of my head. I built a covered run aviary style, as I have Silkies that would be snacks. I also built a fort of a coop & we have chicken run-cam. What kind of chicks are you getting? I have another batch coming in 2 weeks. Chicken math may be the biggest predator...:)

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Looks like Mountain Peeps has left you with some great reading!!

Enjoy this new adventure you are on and welcome to our flock!

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. I envy you living among the Redwoods. We used to live in the northern Sacramento Valley and our family would drive over to the Redwoods and camp every chance we got. We have visited all three of the state parks that form Redwood National Park as well as the groves further south (Richardson Grove, Armstrong, Avenue of the Giants, Hendy Woods, Grizzly Creek Redwoods, etc.). We also enjoyed the unusual Redwood sites like the World Famous Tree House at Piercy or the drive-thru Chandalier Tree at Leggitt. Of all of the places I have been on earth (including Hawaii as well as around 30 other states, and quite a few foreign countries), I think the Coast Redwood groves are the most beautiful. Good luck with your flock.

7. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

Welcome to BYC! Glad you are addressing the predator issue up front. There are plenty of brains to pick here. Best of luck!

8. Minflick

Minflick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Boulder Creek, California
    Heh, we're neighbors. I live in Boulder Creek too! Chicken run WILL be covered, as I hear hawks all the time, although I rarely see them. I'm doing my best to make the coop fort-like, although better carpentry skills would have helped that be more realized. We see raccoons nearly daily, and while the babies are really cute, the Big Mama Jama is big indeed (gender completely unknown!) and I have perfect faith that he/she would waste no time in dining on my birds.

I'm going to get started pullets, probably from Murray McMurray, as our old 4H club dealt with them successfully for years, AND I don't want to deal with chicks AND I'm lazy. I'm thinking of some Australorps, and I'm not sure what else. I almost snagged some Marans, but they sold out while I pondered.

Melinda

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Very glad you joined the flock [​IMG]Maybe a few strands of electric fencing will give the critters a reason to visit some other place.

10. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I've purchased chickens from Murray McMurray several times (including Black Australorps) and been satisfied with their service and birds. Black Australorps are my favorite standard breed; very hardy, calm and gentle, and the best layers of the brown egg laying breeds. I think you will be very happy with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by