Hello from the St Croix River valley, Minnesota!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by AmericanKraut, Jan 15, 2015.

1. AmericanKraut

AmericanKraut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2014
    Minnesota
    Hello Everyone!

I'm Krista, a former social services case worker turned into homemaker, home with our five sons. We recently moved our urban hearts from the shadows of the skyscrapers in Minneapolis to a more rural area not too far away, but out in plenty of country air, no stoplights in sight, but plenty of goats and cows for neighbors around here.

I'm interested in keeping chickens starting this spring. I have a couple friends in the city that keep a couple, but out here is a little different so I can sure use all your advice and wisdom! There are raccoons, coyotes, and small bear in the area. Our neighbors had a cougar a year ago in their yard. So I'm all ears about predator-proofing. We have two German Shorthairs, so they are our alert alarms lol.

Has anyone used the Churchill Coop? It's on My Pet Chicken and other It seems unconventional so I have to ask skeptical because it doesn't look like anyone is using them. It sure seems small for 6+ chickens? I just really like the idea of an easy-clean, hose-out and wipe.

*Greenhorn question: How do you keep a porous wood of a coop clean? I get the cleaning it out, but what about the urine and feces in the floors and walls? Does this get scraped out and disinfected occasionally? Has anyone liked the fiberglass coops? Like EggstremeCoops? Spendy so not a starting place for amateurs like our family. But obviously I have some hang-up with wood. I love wood. Our house is 100 year old wood floors, wood work, we love wood. But for some reason I'm not digging the idea of chicken poop and pee on wood all day being easy to clean. Can you help me get over that lol? Tell me it's no biggy!

Glad to meet you all!
    Krista

~My apologies, I keep trying to introduce myself and inadvertently leaving a link in and then it won't post or show up after going for review. My apologies! Just eager to meet you all and join in :)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  3. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    Welcome! Glad you are getting some chickens. This site is awesome. About anything that I put in the search area there is an answer. Have fun learning.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to the flock. Please do check out the predator section- everything loves chicken.

5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Most of the manufactured coops overestimate the number of birds for which they are appropriate - and having taken a gander at the one you mention I would place it in that category. I would take a look through some of the threads about various coops folks here have constructed, re-purposed, etc to get an idea for some other approaches and I think you will find several that can be done to give you a bigger, better coop than the Churchill for about the same cost, if not less, than purchasing the pre-fab version.

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] We're glad you joined us!

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you.

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

9. AmericanKraut

AmericanKraut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2014
    Minnesota
    Thanks so much, everyone!

I accidentally have two introduction threads, so sorry! The first one (this one) I guess went to moderation because I had a link. So I made another one when the first didn't show up. "Hello from Minnesota". Sorry for the duplicate, and thank you for so many warm welcomes! [​IMG]

10. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by