Hello from the U.K.:)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by blushingbonbon, Mar 11, 2015.

1. blushingbonbon

blushingbonbon New Egg

Mar 11, 2015
    Hi everyone, I'm Jeanne and I live in Devon. We got our first 3 chickens a couple of weeks ago, and I love them already!
    Things are going really well, but I'm having problem identifying which chickens are laying what! Yesterday I got 3 eggs- prior to this I thought only 2 were laying, but now I'm not sure!
    We have a brown leghorn, a Light Sussex, and a speckledy brown. I have a picture of the eggs but not sure where to post:)
    Anyway, looking forward to reading everyone's posts and getting lots of help and ideas for my girls :)

2. blushingbonbon

blushingbonbon New Egg

Mar 11, 2015
    [​IMG]

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Beautiful eggs you have there!! it is hard to say, but I would think the Leghorn eggs will be the lightest of the eggs. Most brown egg layers can lay varied shades of browns from creamy to a deep beige.

Since you only have a couple birds, you can usually figure out who is laying what if you go hang out with them on some morning. Watch who goes into the nest box and come back in 45 mins to collect their egg. Take a good hard look at it. Generally their eggs will be basically the same every time.

Some people will put lipstick on the vent of a hen, each one with a different color. So when the hen lays her egg she will leave this color on her egg. I have never tried this and I am not sure I want to try it. Ha! But some do. [​IMG]

Good luck with your birds and your eggs! Always enjoyable to find those treasures in the nest boxes. After all these years I still get egg-cited to collect my girls eggs.

Welcome to our flock!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  4. blushingbonbon

blushingbonbon New Egg

Mar 11, 2015
    Thank you for the welcome, and the advice! I always thought the light eggs were from the light Sussex, because I have seen her in the nesting box and then found the egg. I'll have to pay closer attention next time!
    It's lovely finding eggs every day- my children are delighted with them:)

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Yes, just watch each hen and look closely at each egg they lay. Pretty soon you will know who laid what.

Enjoy your birds and eggs!! :)

6. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG]and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]
    Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home!

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X2, watching your birds, or keeping one confined until she lays an egg is the easiest way to know for sure. The leghorn should be laying a white or off white egg, the sussex probably the next lightest (I've had some sussex that laid really light brown eggs that looked almost white), and the brown should lay the darkest. I would expect that the sussex will lay the smallest egg of the three, (once they start laying regularly and the egg sizes stabilize).

8. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome Jeanne

Glad you could join the flock! I to am from the UK but up in Yorkshire. Lovely eggs you have there, good luck on the spying to see who is laying them. Lovely to hear your children are delighted with them too. Be sure to ask away with any questions you may have, everyone here to help and very friendly.

Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

9. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    Hi there [​IMG] welcome to BYC[​IMG] hope you have a great time here[​IMG]

The other members have given you some great advice, and I agree with them!

Ooh, wow those are some nice eggs you got there!

10. blushingbonbon

blushingbonbon New Egg

Mar 11, 2015
    Thank you! We just poached them for dinner! Delicious:) x

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by