Hello from the UK

Ninja Squirrel

Songster
Dec 17, 2017
Hampshire, England
Hey there!

Just stopping by to say hello, and a huge thanks to all the posters who have gone before me asking, and answering, sooooooo many questions I never dreamed of before becoming a chicken mama.

I massively underestimated how much character these little feathered lunatics have. They're so much more fun than I ever thought they would be. I am now 5 months in, learning every day, and a full blown chicken bore. If you ask how my chickens are doing, you're going to want to take a seat coz this'll take a while. They're always doing something naughty! ;)

If you haven't fallen asleep already, I inherited 10 hens and a juvenile rooster when I moved into my new home. The previous owners didn't want to take the chickens with them, and we'd already decided we wanted to get chickens, so we moved in with a ready made flock.

We've now got 15 hens and the rooster, all free ranging in a pretty large backyard. Mixed breeds, I still don't know most of them. Mixed sizes. Mixed styles of mischief. Mixed ages (we have a little Sunrise Senior Living gang who I keep thinking must be on their last legs, and then I see one of them flying ninja kick one of the youngsters).

The rooster has been challenging! But we're still working with him, and fingers crossed he seems to be growing up a bit now he's hitting 18months....

Anyway, thanks for reading and thanks for all the help!

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

Yes, most people do underestimate just how much emotion, intelligence and character these feathered friends really have. Very smart creatures, always seeking out attention and love. Mine are HUGE on lap sitting. They have to have their daily lap sitting time with me or there's trouble. :lol:

Enjoy your flock and welcome to ours! :)

welcome.gif
Welcome to Backyard Chickens!

Roosters are amazing!

Enjoy the inherited flock

Back
Top Bottom